black screen after xp logo on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was recently trying to get men of valor demo to work. I was changing bios setting to diffrent speeds. Now when I reboot or turn my machine on bios asus logo apperans fine , bios is fine, when xp logo is fine, the a black screen appears where the desktop should show up, mouse arrow and black screens is all that shows. help.

9800 redeon pro 128 mb
ASUS A7N8X deluxe
2 stacks 512 kingston 3200 slot 1, crosshair 3200 slot 3
samsung 80 gb hd
w digital 40 bg hd slave

Try these..

1. You might have over clocked the bios too much. Try lowering the speed. Or loading the bios default settings.

2. RAM is loose. Take out and firmly reseat your ram chips. Ram or memory is often a picky creature.

3. Have your tried letting windows XP boot for several minutes while showing the black screen. Say 10 minutes or so?

4. Can you boot into safe mode?

- barfarf

Good luck and please lets us know what happens.

yes, I have let xp run for 20 minutes, no change.

one of the guys at my work site said it may be corrupted xp file. Once the xp logo apperas on the screen it is passed the bios. I might try to reinstall windows xp, I just hope it won't reformatt, limit the loss of data.

I talked to the IT department at my building, they gave me a cd to boot the machine on. It is somesort of chkdsk with 5 stages. I ran it, 1 hour later the machine is back up to runninmg mode, appears to be no data loss.

That is good news. If you can find out what software was on the cd that fixed your computer and share with us that would be great .

- take care
chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back