Black Screen after XP pro loading screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

triplesec151

Once I turn on my cpu I get to the XP pro loading screen next i get the black screen. It will stay that way until I restart. I have check my Maxtor hdd for errors and I found none. I also did a memtest and found no errors as well. I am using an onboard video card..I think i need to add a new AGP video card as its replacement.

Before I do that.. does anyone have any other solutions to my problem?

What is your brand and model, and configuration? How much memory, of what kind, is installed?
The onboard video graphics should not be part of the problem, and you do not need the AGP card unless you are gaming...
But you may want to max out your memory, and download all the new drivers from the Dell support site, and install them, once your memory is maxed out.

this pc was given to me... there is no name brand on it it is a custom built pc with 512 mb pc2700 ddr333. It is running an Intel Celeron 2.4ghz chip. I have yet to determine the motherboard model. Since I cannot access the desktop I cannot download nothing.

One thing for sure, you need more memory... at least 1 GB... and your system will now take DDR PC3200 DDR400... It is important that all memory modules be the same... not some that are value ram and some that are not.

One thing for sure, you need more memory... at least 1 GB... and your system will now take DDR PC3200 DDR400... It is important that all memory modules be the same... not some that are value ram and some that are not.

I made a mistake..Actually, there is a 1gb and 256 mb stick installed in the cpu.

This is either data corruption and/ or infection.

Once at the black screen,

Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete

Does the Task Manager come up? If it does,

Go to File menu and clcik on "New Task"
Type
explorer.exe
Press Enter

Does the Desktop load?

You should remove the 256MB as I'm sure is different make and possibly speed than the 1GB module.

This is either data corruption and/ or infection.

Once at the black screen,

Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete

Does the Task Manager come up? If it does,

Go to File menu and clcik on "New Task"
Type
explorer.exe
Press Enter

Does the Desktop load?

You should remove the 256MB as I'm sure is different make and possibly speed than the 1GB module.

The task manager does not come up when I use Ctrl +Alt +del. I tried it with the 1gb in only. I also again tried to access safe mode but no luck there either.

OK, 2 things first, when you reply to me with no one else posting between us, no need to quote me, just so you know.

Also, better not to say "restarted my CPU" restarted the computer is OK, also, you don't install memory in the CPU, it is installed on the motherboard or system.

have you changed your display resolution, refresh rate or color?

When you say Safe Mode freezes, it concerns me.

I suggest you post at the Virus & Malware removal Forum after answering my questions.

From the address bar of your browser, while in this thread, copy the address and point to it with your post in the Virus & Malware removal Forum.

I have not changed any settings on my monitor at all.
Also in regards to safe mode..the computer freezes and then automatically restarts it self.

why do think it might be a virus or malware issue?

You mean you did not change anything in the display properties right?

After the Welcome Screen, the userinit based on the user executes and loads the explorer.exe based on that user's (you) profile.

If either one of them files are corrupted, you get the symptoms you talk about.
Also we know there are viruses that alter these files and where the explorer.exe (which is your desktop) points to in the Registry.

The fact that you can't even go to safe mode, is another reason why I suspect infection and/ or corruption.

Why do you think you have no data corruption and /or infection?

You can post at the link I gave you, there are few other steps which I am not comfortable to ask you to perform which involves removing your hard drive and connecting it to another system.

You need to run scandisk and few other tools, have your XP CD ready, the people at the Virus Forum will take care of you.

I have had this issue since I got this computer 2 days ago...there is a possibility that display properties have been changed since the previous owner had it. Since this problem occurred I have not had chance to check on it.

Also I would take out the hdd and check it on another system but my personal computer is running SATA hdd's not IDE hdd's like this one in question.

Also I have reinstalled windows on this hdd before in attempt to fix the problem unfortunately I still come across this same issue of the black screen.

You can run scandisk on the hard drive as well as a Virus scan but don't do a defrag on your boot drive from another system.

Connect the hard drive in place of your CD-ROM temporarily while you perform the scans.

We need you to look at the motherboard and give us make and model, look around the CPU (processor) and between the PCI and AGP slots.

Make and model of the power supply with a reading from the lable for the max output on the +3.3V, +5.0V and the +12.0V rail in Amp.

How many hard drives?
How many Optical drives?
What is the make and model of your video card?

Visually check the motherboard for the health of the capacitors

I have to read the whole thread again, you say new install, did you add or have you had another drive with data on it during or after install?
Did you remove the partition (Delete) and created another one or just formatted it before XP install?
Do you have extra SATA Data cables handy?

What processor do you have?
Did you ever get to load the desktop after each freah install you have done?

AG ATX 420W 12v Power Supply
Biostar U8668-D VER 7.5 motherboard
Intel Celeron 2.4GZ
PNY 1GB ddr333
One Maxtor 80GB hdd
2 DVD burners
2 external fans
there is no separate video card. I am using the onboard video card
All capacitors are healthy.

I first deleted the previous windows partition and then reformat it using the NTFS file system and then installed windows xp pro all on the same Maxtor hdd it came with. After a successful install the computer would restart but after the windows welcome screen I will get a black screen.

I never got the desktop to load at all.

What CD do you use to install, is it a known good XP CD? What is the service pack on the CD?

Are you connected to the internet (RJ45 connected the the system) during the installation?

Do you have a router?

With the on-board VGA, put the 1GB module in DIMM #1 (closest to the processor).

I am going to ask you to re-install XP once more with only one module in the first socket. But I need to have a reading from your power supply as I asked in my last post.

Going to see if I can get any info on the information you provided.

Let us know

windows xp pro with service pack 1

I was not connected to the internet but I will try it this time.
No, router I use a direct connection to my modem.

Power Supply reading +3.5v, +5v, +12v, -12v, -5v, +5VSB

The point is not to connect to the internet while installing XP.

We have to figure out why you are having corrupt installations.

Besides the numbers you gave me, there should be values in Amp as in +5.0 25A, +3.3V 30A and so on. I need them numbers.

For the motherboard Biostar reports the following versions only:
1.x, 5.x, 6.x, 7.7, 7.1 (in that order according to their site)

Do you have other data cables for your hard drive and CD-ROM to try with the next install.

Do you have a CD-burner and a CD-R? Going to ask you to download SP3 and I walk you through making a bootable XP CD with SP3 on it.

I tried what you said earlier about putting the 1gb stick into the slot closet to the processor and removing the 256mb stick and reinstalling xp...that worked. Since then I have accessed the desktop installed all the updates up to service pack 3.

Can you still show me how to create the bootable xp cd with service pack 3?

I had the instructions ready for you but you left so fast! After all, you did good.

Even though you have a P4 Celeron and not a full blown system, post your power supply readings so we can suggest steps to take in the future. There is also a BIOS update for ver. 7.7 with CPU Microcode update in case you might upgrade in the future.

Create a folder on your C:\ drive, call it Utilities or something, save the downloaded files to that directory and have nLite save the work in there as well, avoid keeping large files and folders on your desktop, a shortcut to folders and files will be OK.

Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

Download nLite v1.4.9.1

install nLite then run it, put your XP CD in your CD-ROM drive (close the box that comes up after you put the CD in)
Select your language, click Next
Use "browse" and select your CD drive, nLite will take a few seconds to ID the CD
Click Next, leave the Presets screen blank, click Next
Select Service Pack and Bootable ISO, click Next
Cick "Select" and browse to the SP3 file, as soon as you select the SP3, it should start slip streaming, wait for the "Integrated install has completed successfully" message and click OK then Next.
Now you can click on Make ISO and you're done, you can also change the Lable to something that you know what the ISO is, like XPPROSP3 or whatever.
Then find the ISO and burn.

Somewhere in the steps above, you have to point nLite to where you want the ISO to be saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back