Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition delayed indefinitely

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: A remastered version of point-and-click adventure game Blade Runner will miss its planned 2020 launch. Fortunately, you can still play a DRM-free version of the original courtesy of GOG, the result of eight years of hard work.

In an interview with Eurogamer, Nightdive Studios CEO Stephen Kick said there have been some obstacles that they’ve had to overcome in terms of old technology the game uses. Worse yet, their search for the game’s original source code and assets has thus far turned up nothing.

Blade Runner was developed by Westwood Studios and launched on the PC way back in 1997. When EA purchased Westwood the following year, the game’s source code was lost. As Eurogamer highlights, EA reportedly found some old Westwood content during the development of the Command & Conquer remaster but it is unclear if any Blade Runner material was among the find.

“We've had some discussions with EA about what else is in the vault they found regarding Blade Runner, and we haven't been able to get a clear answer,” Kick said. “And even if there was something, it's very unlikely they would release it to us for legal reasons, mostly, which is a bit of a disappointment, because we were hoping to at least get the original audio recordings.”

Instead, Nightdive has to reverse engineer the game’s code. They also have to deal with highly compressed content and work around other tricks that Westwood employed to create a shippable product.

“It's just taking a bit longer than we originally anticipated,” Kick said.

Worse yet, all of the reserve engineering work has already been done by the team at ScummVM, a process that took roughly eight years to complete. Nightdive attempted to work out a licensing deal with ScummVM to use their code in its remaster but stipulations around open source work prevented this from happening.

As it stands today, Nightdive Studio’s remaster of Blade Runner has a “TBD” release date.

Permalink to story.

Sad to see publishers running out of ideas to create brand new games, create new designs and explore new possibilities in gaming, rather than keep re-painting old games and slap-on a "HD-Remake/4K-playable" BS. No thanks to suckers who buy and even pre-purchase these and further fuel this non-productive trend, in turn making these lazy publishers rich.

Many older games can still run on modern Windows. Those that can't, can make use of any one of those workarounds and patches available on the net. Besides saving money, people can still experience these games in their original form and what made them popular in the first place.

Sad to see publishers running out of ideas to create brand new games, create new designs and explore new possibilities in gaming, rather than keep re-painting old games and slap-on a "HD-Remake/4K-playable" BS. No thanks to suckers who buy and even pre-purchase these and further fuel this non-productive trend, in turn making these lazy publishers rich.

Many older games can still run on modern Windows. Those that can't, can make use of any one of those workarounds and patches available on the net. Besides saving money, people can still experience these games in their original form and what made them popular in the first place.

Gaming went mainstream, thats the source of the suckers which fuel bad games.

While we are on the classic sci-fi\cyberpunk subject I wonder if anyone will pick up the Psygnosis classic G-Police.
It would need completely redeveloped throughout to meets today's expectations: there wasn't much of a game in the original, just a series of missions, nearly all of which involved 'shoot the crims.' Very pretty to look at (well, the PC version was) but shallow as a kid's swimming pool.

It would need completely redeveloped throughout to meets today's expectations: there wasn't much of a game in the original, just a series of missions, nearly all of which involved 'shoot the crims.' Very pretty to look at (well, the PC version was) but shallow as a kid's swimming pool.
Now I remember why I liked it. ?

But yeah what I mean is not an enhancement but a complete remake. Something about that game made it one of my early guilty pleasures.

While we are on the classic sci-fi\cyberpunk subject I wonder if anyone will pick up the Psygnosis classic G-Police.

Yup, played it on the Psone back in the days. Enjoyed it very much. Would love a remake of that along with another great title on the system called Omega Boost.

Yup, played it on the Psone back in the days. Enjoyed it very much. Would love a remake of that along with another great title on the system called Omega Boost.
Oh I totally forgot about Omega Boost! I think I played it on a PSX demo disk, never picked it up though.

I have seen it played and looked pretty good. I didn't care much for the shooters back then but I saw someone playing Radiant Silvergun at EB games and ended up buying one for me and one for my Son. That game was a hair puller.

Back