Blank Blue Screen of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultima686

Ok, so after re-formatting my computer with the same OS as i had before, Windows XP Professional, Updating ALL my drivers and getting the latest updates from windows including Service Pack 3, When i Boot World of Warcraft it plays the intro movie, and after that is finished as soon as the login page comes i get a Blank Blue Screen of Death and my computer makes a funny noise "errrrrrrtttttt" and i have to reboot.

Before re formatting i was able to run World of Warcraft with no problems at 62 FPS average. can someone diagnose this problem for me please?

Driver i downloaded for my video card - http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp

link straight from http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.HTML and i chose my video card.

My Computer specs are listed in my profile.

Could be a faulty HardDrive

Firstly always do external backups (ie to CD\DVD Flash Media; ...)

Try Checkdisk on your HardDrive
Then after that do a Drive Diagnostics

Edit

Also please put your System Specs information in your Profile
Not in the post

yeah i did not have a seprate hardrive to backup my OS before i re-formatted and i was desprate, had a super virus that deleted my system restore and messed up my computer bad. but as for the Checkdisk here is what happened.
lob.jpg

EDIT: After i ran the Checkdisk and did chkdsk /r and rebooted i noticed i did not have sound.

sound.jpg

=\

oh and on the Drive Diagnostics

which one should i choose? Western Digital?

Yes WD

But it looks very much like faulty HardDrive to me, even without the diagnostics
So how do you feel about getting another HardDrive? (at least 160Gig this time)

Yes WD

But it looks very much like faulty HardDrive to me, even without the diagnostics
So how do you feel about getting another HardDrive? (at least 160Gig this time)

:'( do i have to? well i don't have money for one, but how could it be the hardrive? the problem only came about after re-formatting, could that have physically dont something wrong to it?

Yes (indirectly)

I have had many users who asked me to re-install Windows (and format first)
And then the HardDrive has failed.

Obviously not my fault (or the one that formatted your drive)
It just means the drive was close to failing, and the format just put it over the edge.

I say 80% possibility HardDrive

Oh and the Checkdisk pic did help :grinthumb

*a couple months later*

hey so it was not my harddrive, it was my video card. i got a new one and i can run WoW, and any other games i try to run. no more blue screens of death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back