Blank DVD's not formatting in DVD Recorder

I have recently bought the Panasonic DMR-EZ48V VHS/DVD Recorder. I tried to start taping something on a Verbatim DVD - RW (V) blank DVD, but for some reason, it couldn't format the disc despite trying multiple times. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be, and how to resolve it?

I have the DMR-EZ45V which looks much the same machine. It's stuck in a corner and hasn't been used for years. I do remember that when you insert a blank RW disc it shows a message on the screen about it not being properly formatted and asks if you want DVD management to do it. That worked OK. Maybe you could try a different make of disc? If that doesn't work either you've likely got a problem with the combi unit itself.

Last edited:
I have the DMR-EZ48V which looks much the same machine. It's stuck in a corner and hasn't been used for years. I do remember that when you insert a blank RW disc it shows a message on the screen about it not being properly formatted and asks if you want DVD management to do it. That worked OK. Maybe you could try a different make of disc? If that doesn't work either you've likely got a problem with the combi unit itself.
Thanks for your advice :) Every time mine says that the format was unsuccessful, it just says to press "Ok", which takes me back to the start. I will try a different make of DVD, then see what happens from there

It's surprising that these VHS DVD combos are still around. Panasonic are great but it never was a useful machine. Most films on VHS tapes are protected so you can't just convert your collection to DVD. The number of DVD formats plus region locking makes for problems and what I hoped would be an easy integration with my computer isn't straightforward at all. I replaced the DVD-VHS unit with a DVD-hard drive combo (Panasonic DMR-EX88EB.) That was far more useful because recording TV programs to a hard drive is so easy. The discs I ended up choosing were Panasonic DVD-RAM 3X but I've not used one in years.

Last edited:
Back