Blank screen after overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

omar5575

im pulling my hair out!!

hi people-aka the pc geniuses :wave:
i did the worst thing. i oc'ed my cpu from 100mhz to 200mhz. i know it was a very retarded thing of me to do but i really need your help. now, my pc switches on and everything, but my monitor doesn't. its connected to my nvidia geforce 5200 fx (128mb) everything SEEMS to be working fine but clearly isnt. i used the bios setup to oc and when i rebooted my pc did this. i know its stupid of me and i have learnt my lesson, but can anyone help me out of this real deep hole i have dug...just this once!?! thanks

specs:-
time pc (2001)
xp sp2
amd athlon xp 1600+ (90% sure it is even)
nvidia geforce 5200 fx 128mb
160gb hard drive
1 gb of ram ddr2
2 cd drives 1 floppy and 5 in 1 card reader
230v power supply

thank you soooo much and sorry for my lack of knowledge! :)

I have moved your post to it`s own thread.

I suggest you reset your cmos by either using the jumper on your mobo(your mobo manual will have instructions on how to do this), or take out the cmos battery for a few minutes, then replace it. Providing you haven`t fried anything, your computer will boot up as normal.

You may need to go into your bios and reset some settings after doing this.

Regards Howard :)

... You should never try overclocking unless you really know what you are doing, OR you have a really old computer that you don't care about that you can practice on. And even if you do know what you're doing... never try get a 100% overclock immediately! There are VERY few CPUs in the world that can do a 100% overclock at all, let alone without tweaking voltage and memory and other things.

If you can find the CMOS jumper, reset it, and if you can't then take out the battery for a few minutes and put it back in. When you take out the battery (I may be wrong) but I believe that you have to unplug your computer as well if you reset the BIOS by removing it.

This may not help but, I did that very same thing with my previous rig and it (still not sure how) fried my cpu. It was a AMD 3000 anthlon 64. I was sure if my mobo was right niether because both didnt want to work, the funny part was that I was trying to overclock my videocard lol... I also had to RMA it....

Ah.... cant help you. I bet you learned your lesson, Dont worry I was in the same boat, thankfully ASUS has AI NOS. ^_^ Easier to overclock.

You're supposed to go up in small increments. You can use a huge leap if you know roughly where you can overclock to, but if you're not sure, increase it 5mhz at a time. Its painfully slow, but you're guaranteed not to do anything really stupid this way :D

Same goes for graphics cards, which is even better, since if its not a stable overclock, you don't need to restart your computer over and over again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back