blank screen when installing a radeon9600se, help?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyke

ok, this is my first posting, so please bear with me :)
Im trying to install an ATI radeon 9600se graphics card.
I have an azrockK7VM2 motherboard with VIA chipset 266. 512mb DDR ram.
It has onboard graphics, and the guide said I should disable this in bios,
which I did, under 'onboard VGA share memory', it was set at 8mb, I changed it to 'none'as it said I should.
I inserted the card, and the puter just beeped at me, and gave a black screen. Aftrer removing the card, the only way I could get the puter to work again was by removing the lithium battery for awhile, to rest the bios.Now I am baffled. The guide from ATI said I should get a GART driver from VIA, but I couldnt find one there. I really dont have much idea what Im doing,can anyone help? btw, I did download all the drivers I will need for when I get the
card working.

there should be an option that lets you turn off the integrated graphics (on/off) in your bios, you'll need to do that and set your primary graphics adapter setting, also in the bios.

Thanks for the reply :)
all I can find in my bios is one part, (under 'Chipset Configuration') that says:-
"AGP Mode:(set at 4x) This motherboard supports the AGP 4X interface that transfers video data at 1066MB/s.Other configuration options are 2X mode and 1Xmode.
AGP Aperture Size:( set at 128mb)It refers to a section of the PCI memory address range used for graphics memory.It is recommended to leave this field at the default value unless the installed AGP card ’s specifications requires other sizes.
AGP Fast Write:( set at disabled) This allows you to enable or disable the feature of AGP fastwrite protocol support.
OnBoard VGA Share Memory:( set at 32mb)This allows you to select the size of share memory for onboard VGA.Onboard VGA will get better resolution if larger size of share memory is selected.Please do not select [None ] if AGP or PCI graphics card is not inserted."
Also, under 'Resource Configuration', is one part that says :-
"Primary Graphics Adapter: Select PCI or AGP as the primary graphics adapter." Maybe this is what I need to change? but wil I also have to change anything else?

also under this heading are the following options - '
OnBoard FDC Auto
OnBoard Serial Port Auto
OnBoard Infrared Port Disabled
OnBoard Parallel Port Auto
Parallel Port Mode ECP+EPP
EPP Version 1.9
Parallel Port IRQ Auto
Parallel Port DMA Channel Auto
OnBoard Midi Port disabled
Midi IRQ Select 5
OnBoard Game Port 200h
OnBoard IDE Both
OnBoard LAN Enabled
OnBoard AC' 97 Audio Auto
OnBoard MC' 97 Modem Auto
the graphics card is a 128mb btw, and it had no fan, so theres no power connector.
cheers,

Tyke

tyke said:
"Primary Graphics Adapter: Select PCI or AGP as the primary graphics adapter." Maybe this is what I need to change? but wil I also have to change anything else?
yes, set it to whatever slot your card is plugged into.

I got called away for a days, but Im back and I just tried it again. I went into Bios and changed the Primary Graphics Adaptor from PCI to 'Add-on AGP' the only other option was 'Onboard AGP'. [the puter booted up normaly after this change]
I Installed the card, tried to boot and got the same black screen, with around 10 beeps, folowed by three more, 2 together then one a little later.
The only other thing I can think of is the other bios setting which I tried earlier, but that meant having to remove the lithium battery to get the puter to work again so I dont want to do that unless Im certain it will help..any ideas please? thanks in advance,
Tyke

your BIOS, if properly set, will look to your graphics card first. if it finds that one is not present, it will activate the on board adapter. if your monitor does not come on, try plugging it into the other graphics adapter. if it won't post at all, no matter where the monitor is plugged in, you have yourself a hardware problem, your prime suspect being the new card.

Thats exactly what happened.. I tried the monitor in both adaptors, and nothing. Do you think it could be that other thing with the bios? the
" OnBoard VGA Share Memory [Currently set at 32mb)This allows you to select the size of share memory for onboard VGA.Onboard VGA will get better resolution if larger size of share memory is selected.Please do not select [None ] if AGP or PCI graphics card is not inserted." ??
I have no idea what that means, but if that's not in, then Im sure you're right, and the card itself is faulty..thanks for your help anyway , cheers!

Tyke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back