Blizzard talks Diablo 3 facts, nerfing and buffs for legendary items

Rick

Staff

In an article posted on Battle.net, Blizzard talks about its Diablo 3 character-nerfing philosophy, discusses a couple of upcoming patches and shares with us some interesting facts regarding Diablo 3. Interestingly, the blog-style post follows a hastily deployed hotfix which took the bite out of certain skills -- abilities which some players discovered to be curiously powerful. 

First, some quick stats about Diablo 3: According to the Blizzard's data, players, on average, have three characters each. About 1.9 percent of those characters have managed to unlock the "Inferno" difficulty -- this difficulty is one step beyond Hell which has traditionally been the most challenging mode in Diablo. Additionally, 80 percent of the heroes in Sanctuary are under level 30 and the vast majority of hardcore character deaths (35 percent) occur in Act 1 on Normal difficulty.

Additionally, Blizzard seems proud of D3's character diversity. "The most common level 60 build in the game is only used by 0.7% of level 60 characters of that class" the company touts.

For level 60 characters, the most widely used runes are Best Served Cold (Barbarian), Lingering Fog (Demon Hunter), Mirror Skin (Wizard), Peaceful Repose (Monk) and Numbing Dart (Witch Doctor). "If any single skill or rune feels absolutely required to progress, it means that skill is working against our goal of encouraging build diversity -- and those 'required' skills need to be corrected." the post goes on to assure players.

As far as balancing in Diablo 3 is concerned, Blizzard says plainly that it doesn't want players to be afraid of weekly nerfing. The game developer claims it will attempt to resolve future balance issues in a more thoughtful and measured manner than in past times, avoiding the dreaded nerf cannon whenever possible. Blizzard admits the game is new though and it expects to iron out substantial balance issues as the game matures.

If a skill is strong, but isn't really breaking the game, we want you to have your fun. Part of the enjoyment of Diablo is finding those super-strong builds, and we want players to be excited to use something they discovered that feels overpowered. A good example of this is the monk Overawe rune, which many players have identified as being quite good. We agree it's good, but we don't think it's so far out of line that we're going to swoop in and hotfix it out of existence.

Blizzard also mentions that it is keeping a close eye on Inferno difficulty. It wants every class to be viable and every skill to be useful, even in the hardest of content. However, the company admits Inferno difficulty doesn't quite "feel right" yet. Blizzard also wants to make sure that unique enemies, champion packs and boss fights continue being the best way to get decent loot worth your while. All of these things, the post says, will be addressed in upcoming patches.

Future patches will also feature improvements for the blacksmith/crafting system, PVP and "straight-out buffing" to legendary items. You can read more here.

Permalink to story.

So I wonder how many of that 2% who have made it to the "Inferno" difficulty are Korean's? They are just bat-shiat crazy over this game (and another Blizzard product, Starcraft II).

It's not 2% of people, it's of characters. So if you imagine every person in the world has at least 3 characters (the report from Blizzard says that's the average), then it would mean it's actually 6% of players, with 1 of their 3 characters being on inferno. Of course the amount of variation in the number of characters by individual players means 6% is by no means accurate, but it's not an unreasonable assumption.

Any improvement on Diablo 3 is useless until Blizzard fixes the connectivity/lag issues. Those should come first.

The article needs a correction. Where it says 35% of deaths occur on Act 1 Normal, that's for Hardcore characters, not regular characters.

How about fixing the server before even thinking about reworking skills, difficulties, drops, equipment, etc. I for one don't care in the slightest if I can't even play the game. We paid at least $60 for the game, which BTW requires a constant internet connection, and we can't play why? I don't have a problem with the internet requirement. My problem is having the requirement and the server being down as much as it has been. I understand the game just came out, but how long was it in beta? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

How about fixing the server before even thinking about reworking skills, difficulties, drops, equipment, etc. I for one don't care in the slightest if I can't even play the game. We paid at least $60 for the game, which BTW requires a constant internet connection, and we can't play why? I don't have a problem with the internet requirement. My problem is having the requirement and the server being down as much as it has been. I understand the game just came out, but how long was it in beta? It makes absolutely no sense to me.
Blizzard executives would rather put money in their pockets than into server infrastructure.

These guys know how to break make games. I loved reading through the forums and learning that Blizzard nerfed the monk beyond playability in the hardest difficulty because it survived.

I find this actually funny cause I'm Korean and working my way through Act 2 in inferno with my barb lol.

Auction rpg. Everyone are forced to use AH to sell what they get and buy what they need, so that Blizz could make some more hundreds of millions.

<p>Blizzard executives would rather put money in their pockets than into server infrastructure.</p>

Yeah, because I'm sure the execs just hop on newegg and whip out their credit card everytime they need a new server. WoW membership is down 2 million from it's peak, I'm sure they have a few extra servers lying around.

Maybe making a game run smoothly is more complicated than just 'buy more servers.'

I love they way they removed "Spirit" plate armor from World Of Warcraft when it was no use to any plate wearing class. Now every other item I craft has int + str. Good stuff. Is it just to balance the items or frustrate the hell out of users crafting items...

Its hard work pleasing millions of people, no matter what Blizzard does someone, somewhere, is going to complain. Most people just like to complain anyways so their opinions are usually exaggerated or misleading. Most of the changes I've read are for the better, especially when it comes to crafting. The rest of it hardly matters because its only a game and honestly why people are so deeply bothered by something as trivial as a game puzzles me.

I'm in inferno, I get rolled in act 2 with my barb, I need to farm a1, sell n buy some stuff in the ah but that sounds boring atm. I wish I didn't waste so dang much gold on blacksmithing.

I'm surprised that Blizzard has released a game that seems to be so...unpolished? I feel like if they spent 12 years making this game (which it probably wasn't the whole 12 years, but still) then they could have made the auction house perform like it says on the back of the box, they would have PvP up and running like it was supposed to when the game came out, and they would have a pretty good, clean, game made. I understand that there will always be some tweaking and such, but to have major selling points of the game not be included at launch? that's just a little low to me

Did you know in Diablo 3, the wizard can hold a 2 handed mace? the wizard can also equip a crossbow... Something seems a tad wrong with that.

whats error 37? I was planning on buying this game (never had a diablo game before) but see many many bad comments...

Remember this - just as with a restaurant or any other service oriented thing you pay for you will always hear many, many more negative responses compared to positive ones. When was the last time you filled a positive comment card when you went some where and then think of the last time you spoke to a manager when you had bad service. If you don't have any preconceived needs or desires for Diablo I think you will really enjoy it. Most people who are complaining about D3 are doing so because of the differences from D2 and just like with a movie it's always harder to make the following titles better than the early ones. The difference is D2 was better than D1 and people were hoping that the same would be true for D3.

<p>
</p>
<p>Blizzard executives would rather put money in their pockets than into server infrastructure.</p>

Are you are still whining about server issues? Those issues lasted like two days. The only "issues" that I've had is that the AH is down like 60% of the time and the latency is alittle high. Can I play the game? Yes.

EU servers were given Error 37 the whole of Wednesday night. Which was the one night I was able to play this week. Kinda frustrating, especially when the online all the time requirement isn't due to connecting to a server maintaining a persistant world with many players like WoW.

EU servers were given Error 37 the whole of Wednesday night. Which was the one night I was able to play this week. Kinda frustrating, especially when the online all the time requirement isn't due to connecting to a server maintaining a persistant world with many players like WoW.

I do agree, that if they were smart, they would make it more like SC2, you authenticate, and can only get achivements if your online - but can still play offline.

Servers have not been a problem for me or anyone I know. However my bad, I didn't know that servers have been an issue else where.

decent game that could become very good with changes.

Terrible Terrible servers in EU , worst run game I've ever played from a technical standpoint.

<p>
<p>
</p></p>
<p><p>Blizzard executives would rather put money in their pockets than into server infrastructure.</p>
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Are you are still whining about server issues? Those issues lasted like two days. The only "issues" that I've had is that the AH is down like 60% of the time and the latency is alittle high. Can I play the game? Yes.</p>

dont know were you play but EU servers have been down for about 15-20 hours the last 2 days , I would say at least 50% of days since launch the EU server has been down.

Back