Blue Screen at End of Booting XP Pro SP3 – Minidump

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcat

At the very end of booting, my PC blocked. There ware only disturbance lines on the screen, but I could hear a buzzing sound from the PC.

This had happened before a fair time ago, and had stopped after various unspecific measures or by chance, but now it occurs again.

I have not installed any new hardware lately. Only a small program 3 days ago, but it had booted successfully twice afterwards before failing today.

I attach the minidump file and would be greatly obliged if a knowledgeable guru could shed some light.

Inside the 1 MiniDump:
BugCheck 44, {85f6b968, d64, 0, 0}
Probably caused by : CLASSPNP.SYS

Hmm lots of info and ideas on this one
"CLASSPNP SYS"

I'd start by confirming all drivers are up to date
Then load setup defaults in Bios (one report stated to set PnP to Yes in Bios setup (or CMOS settings)

A little vague on exact idea what may be causing it.

Regarding the "buzzing sound" It may be best to clean your system out of all\any dust (especially in the PowerSupply) By the way, this is on PC only, as I don't know what specs you actually have.

Hmm, good point:
Please put your System Specs information in your Profile

Thanks for your interest and advice kimsland. I remember you from The Meeting Spot. You posted an excellent list of adages on computers, which I added to my collection. :)

As regards the buzzing sound, I inform that I had dusted my PC recently, before resorting to this forum. I don’t think it’s heat from dust that’s causing it, as it’s no longer Summer, and the fault occurs at the end of booting, before the machine gets really hot. Unless there is a fan that should start and doesn’t.

The MS article linked, ie "Stop C2" Error Caused by the Classpnp.sys Driver, seems to apply to Windows 2000, whereas my System is XP.

Load setup defaults in Bios
Could you instruct me how to do that? Will I lose any functions, and are there any risks involved?

Thanks again for the interest.

Many MS Articles list 2000 as the OS, but stragely some of these fixes also apply to Xp (strange I know) in some (or most) cases, you can find the equialent article with Xp in mind (but not always)

The noise may in fact be coming from you HardDrive (I hope not) But some HardDrives do seem to have strange noises at times (even new!)

Load setup defaults in Bios

When I posted this I thought to myself, that you would know, I'm not sure why, but you came across as someone who may have ventured into Bios Setup before.

When you first turn on your computer
You should notice a key to press like DEL or F2 (or something) to get into Bios setup. (you know, supplying your System Specs, would have helped you here!)
Press this key
Once in Bios setup, locate "Set Defaults" (the label may be slightly different)
And Enable it, or select it
Then Save and Exit (or just press F10 key)

Hopefully all will then be ok (but this is just one idea of many)

In the light of your clarification, I tried the MS site again http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326122
but it said “The KB article has no public hotfixes. Please contact support if you need immediate assistance.”
http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=326122&kbln=en-us

The buzzing noise only occurs when the system fails as in this case. I had checked my HD before and it seemed OK.

..but you came across as someone who may have ventured into Bios Setup before.
In fact, in a desperate attempt before posting here, I had managed to enter the BIOS setup. But I was afraid to make any changes without knowing what I was doing, that’s why I asked for specific instructions.

However, I do remember that there were 2 possibilities, something like: “Failsafe” and “Optimized” modes. Which one should I try? And could there be any negative consequences?

I had posted some info on my System in the meantime by using SIW, which I already had. If it’s not enough, I can add more.

Optimized

No I wouldn't worry about running Optimized defaults (in other words, just do it)
Some advanced users get stuck into voltages and multipliers, but you just want defaults

Now, there's an area that says "Plug and Play OS Installed?" usually the answer is No. But one report I found on your error said change that to Yes, so please try that too.

Thanks for the prompt and full reply. I’ll try it and come back. At worst, we’ll have another error minidump to work on. :)

As advised, in BIOS settings I selected and saved Optimized Defaults.

The PC started OK today, but I still don’t trust it, because the error does not appear every time.

Now, there's an area that says "Plug and Play OS Installed?" usually the answer is No. But one report I found on your error said change that to Yes, so please try that too.
I couldn’t find the above setting. Could you advise me on how to get to it?

I am bumping my thread, hoping that somebody can inform me how to get to the setting that says:
"Plug and Play OS Installed?"

I want to change the answer from No to Yes.

It is imposssible to tell you that specifically unless you clearly identify make/model of comp OR motherboard make/model.

Thanks for the clarification CCT.

I have added the motherboard info to my profile:

Make: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO
Model: MS-6540
Chipset: SiS 661FX
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, version 6.00 PG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back