Computer crashes in normal mode but not in safe mode

videorfeak

Hello everyone, this post will be rather lengthy however I want to make sure that I correctly relay all relevant info as I really need help. I shall try to make it organized as possible.

Problem: My computer crashes when in normal mode but not in safe-mode with networking and no one can figure out why.

Specs:
Manufacturer: DriverPack Solution
Model: Alienware M18xR2
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30 GHz 2.30GHZ
RAM: 16 Gb
System Type: 64-bit Windows
Edition: Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675m
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Network Card: Killer N Wireless
Hard Drive: SeaGate Momentus Laptop 1 SATA TB/TO 8 MB Cache 5400 RPM

The Story (long read): So nearly a month an a half ago now I was playing TF2 on my computer when the first crash occurred. My Screen went black and stayed off though the computer stayed on and a loud noise was emitted; I had to hold down the power button to force the computer off and restart it. It got to where every time I restarted my computer it instantly crashed and restarted so I was forced to leave it off. I took my computer to a local electronics repair store that I had heard good reviews of. They said the problem was the computer over-heating due to the fans being blocked by dust getting stuck in some kind of sink-hole. The had to take my fans and everything out to clean out the dust and apparently my entire GPU had been fried so I had to buy a new one to be placed in my laptop. Well needless to say that didn't fix the issue. I had them run stress tests and it turned out my main hard drive was corrupted, it couldn't run prime numbers, and most the data was messed up so I bought a new hard drive and had it installed and had the OS booted. Well the computer was still crashing so we tried downgrading and re upgrading the bios and all the drivers which did nothing. I tried reloading the OS again which did nothing. Well it was then noticed that the fans needed to be replaced so I got new fans. I have practically re-built this computer having replaced nearly all of its components and it still crashes. I have taken it to multiple places that all say the same thing: It is neither hardware nor software related. It always passes all the tests and no one can seem to get my computer to crash at all. Yet all it does for me is crash. I cant use it for even basic computing anymore unless its in safe mode yet it passes everyone's tests, reps even claim to have spent hours on end watching youtube on my computer or even trying to play games such as league of Legends on my computer. I was told it could be the surface I have the laptop on so I bought a lap-table that was recommended to me and at first the computer worked better for like a day and now its just a piece of trash. used to booting up took like 3 seconds, now it takes nearly a minute. Dell support sucks and they are apparently out of parts and cant do anything to help me. I love this laptop and I don't want to have to replace it. Ive had it a year and a half, costed $3200 and trying to fix it ive spent nearly $1000 more and I just don't know what to do. The absolute last I heard is that my bios are set to auto shut off the comp when internal temperatures reach 73 degrees and that there is no way to change it or hack into the bios to change it. I know that my laptop has not always been like that, it used to get into the 90's before shutting off. Idk if I need a new motherboard its the only thing I haven't replaced yet everyone says there's no sign of any damage to it what so ever.

You can also refer to this posts I made in the dell forums:
http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19526706.aspx

BSOD Errors:
Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033
Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 116

BCP1: FFFFFA800DE11010

BCP2: FFFFF8800FC052BC

BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A

BCP4: 0000000000000004

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1
Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\112413-29874-01.dmp

C:\Users\CoryK\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-68983-0.sysdata.xml

Using Blue Screen View I have uploaded a text document of the dump files and their information.

Thank you everyone who read my post, I truly am appreciative of any help I can get.

Attachments

• BSOD.txt
    24 KB · Views: 1
Go to C:\windows\minidump. Minidump files have a .dmp extension. Select all the .dmp files. Right-click sending the files to a compressed(zipped)folder. Upload this folder as a file here...
"My computer crashes when in normal mode but not in safe-mode with networking and no one can figure out why" This indicates that there is a driver issue causing the BSOD's

Yes I understand that BCC 116 refers to the video card however it's driver has been uninstalled and reinstalled, downgraded and upgraded many times now with no changes. So unless my 1 month old video card was faulty from the start there has to be something else causing the video card to fail. However Ty though for replying and lending me your time.

Yes there were 4. 2 unknows, 1 PCI device, and a BCM20702A0. I was told by multiple places that those drivers weren't affecting anything. I looked them up and they seem to be drivers for other Alienware models.

Well it is always wise to have a "clean" device manager, and there wouldn't be any (!) if the laptop hardware didn't need those drivers. I would suggest that you find the missing device drivers

I am currently trying to track down the right drivers, so far no luck. Ill post more info when its available.

Well there are the individual manufacturer sites I can get drivers from however there's not 1 place that has all my drivers. Dell has a lot, then I have to go to nvidia to get the driver for my videocard. The problem is trying to figure out which driver I need and where to get it, and then half the time when I figure out the driver and download it it won't install.

Hi! I have the same problem:( It started a week ago. PC was working fine and suddenly, it started to crash. PC freezes and suddenly goes black. Mouse and keyboard won't move, I have to shut down the PC and turn it back on. After start up, it will freeze again and turns black. I already did some basic troubleshooting like putting PC in a Cleanboot state, performing a Start up Repair, System Restore, and even doing a complete reinstallation of Windows 7 Ultimate but these didn't fix the issue. I tried going to Safe mode with Networking. Everything works fine in Safe mode. As soon as I go back to normal mode, it crashes. I tried downgrading the driver, from NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 to Standard VGA Graphics Adapter and went back to Normal mode. Guess what, PC didn't crash anymore after downgrading the graphics driver. I went to Windows Update and check for updates and installed the update for NVIDIA, which is NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (version 8.17.13.142 and 9.18.13.908). After installing the updates, I went to Device Manager to update the driver to those versions (version 8.17.13.142 and 9.18.13.908) and boom! PC started to freeze again. So whenever the NVIDIA driver is installed, PC crashes. Basically, when NVIDIA is the installed driver, PC crashes. Heeeeeeeelp!

Research updates/drivers for this motherboard on the manufacturer's website. The basic nVidia drivers may not be truly compatible. Please POST separately in future - this 2013 thread is 'too old'.

Back