Boot from iso files inside a DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have 5 bootable iso image files in my hardisk, i want to burn them to a single dvd in such a way that i should be able to boot from any of the iso files, preferably via a menu, I tried MagicISO and EasyBoot, I work under Windows XP SP 2 and Ubuntu 7.04, How do I integrate these bootable ISOs ? Using MagicISO I could make a menu, but could only integrate the BOOT part of the iso, not the complete set of files in the iso, is this possible via grub ? Will grub run from a DVD and can it mount iso images while booting ? I need to fix this thing soon, infact, the sooner the better, Thanx in advance.

Are we talking about Windows boots, or Linux, or what exactly are you attempting to have these boot choices?

raybay said:
Are we talking about Windows boots, or Linux, or what exactly are you attempting to have these boot choices?
Both, Thats the sad part, I have a Windows XP Home and Ubuntu 7.04 as 2 of the isos...but I wouldnot mind if u can give me a soln. just for Windows or Linux. :)

Or lets put it like this, I have installation CDs of many oses, I am trying to integrate them to a DVD, which contains both Linux as well as Windows Installations, now does that help ?

It cannot work. Even if you manage to "boot" the ISO image, the OS inside that image wants to access the rest of the disk directly through the storage controller. This is not possible, since the disk in the drive is something completely different (it is your DVD and not the OS CD).

At best, you could make use of the virtual media feature that comes with some (high end) KVM solutions.

nothing is impossible

dear sir, i belive nothing is impossible, i am trying to mount the iso as a loopback device, so that it will b considerd as a seperate entity, not as "disk in drive"
most linux installation doesnt require u to reboot in between like in windows, and windows vista has made a definte improvement, so i suppose its possible.

Dear sir, please send me a flying pig :)

A "loopback device" is a software feature. The instant you load a real operating system (read: not DOS), it will take over the machine, detect all hardware at the lowest possible level, interfacing with hardware directly, bypassing all software and try to access that hardware directly with its own drivers.

What you are talking about here is only possible in case of a virtualised machine like something running inside VMware, Xen or whatever.

But Help then

I was trying to mount the iso as a virtual drive during boot, like an emulation, u pls suggest some kind of solution.

PS: i'd jolly well sent a flying elephant if u can get me a soln:

Look around via Gurgle searches... I suspect you will have a terribly difficult time doing what you describe, unless you are a very experienced programmer. You certainly will not learn enough on any forum because it would require a great deal of pages and typing that exceeds the limits allowed.

Answer to your preyers?

Hi, maybe late but better then never...
In your case I would visit: ezbsystems.com/easyboot/
Good luck
/Cinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back