Boot Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I switch the PC on it powers up and you hear the HD spin up then it spins down about 10 secs later. Nothing comes up on the screen.

If I leave the PC like this for 5 minutes the HD spin up again and if I then switch off and switch back on the PC boots into Windows without any problems.

This odd way of getting the PC to boot seems to work every time I've tried it so far.

I thought that the problem may be the HD but I’ve connected it to another PC and accessed the files and ran a diagnostic from the manufacture which it passed. Also if it where a hard drive problem then I wouldn’t have expected it to run Windows without any problems.

I was wondering if it may be a Power supply problem.

Any advice or help would be really useful.

Thanks

Jemes

this is either PSU or mainboard.
Check the load on the PSU first by disconnecting all the drives except the hard drive - just a process of elimination.
Check the PSU with a replacement as this is easier.
Download and run Everest and check the voltages.

AlbertLionheart said:
this is either PSU or mainboard.
Check the load on the PSU first by disconnecting all the drives except the hard drive - just a process of elimination.
Check the PSU with a replacement as this is easier.
Download and run Everest and check the voltages.

Thanks for your reply.

Is this the Everest software and can I check the voltage from the trial version.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=3&ps=UE&lang=en

Thanks again.

AlbertLionheart said:
The freebie is on this site, and it will tell you the voltages. You will find them under computer/sensor

http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Thanks for the link.

I've run the software and got the follwing results...

But to be honest I'm not sure what these results mean and how I can use them to help me.

Any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks again.

Jemes

Power Management

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power Management Properties:
Current Power Source AC Line
Battery Status No Battery
Full Battery Lifetime Unknown
Remaining Battery Lifetime Unknown

Sensor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type Asus ASB100 Bach (SMBus 2Dh)
Motherboard Name Asus A7V266 / A7V333 Series

Temperatures:
Motherboard 29 °C (84 °F)
CPU 55 °C (131 °F)
CPU Diode 60 °C (140 °F)
Aux 15 °C (59 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 4891 RPM
Power Supply 2464 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.79 V
+3.3 V 3.26 V
+5 V 4.54 V
+12 V 12.10 V
-12 V -12.02 V
-5 V -4.55 V
Debug Info F 89 89 FF
Debug Info T 29 55 15
Debug Info V 70 70 CB A8 BD BD BD (01)

It does not look like your PSU is so far off spec to cause the effects you have: guess it is the main board.
Anyone else care to comment?

AlbertLionheart said:
It does not look like your PSU is so far off spec to cause the effects you have: guess it is the main board.
Anyone else care to comment?

Are there any tests I can do on the Motherboard?

The pc is working fine once it's warmed up for 5 minutes and then rebooted, but it worries me that eventually it will stop working full stop. I would'nt want to be without a PC for a while.

Thanks for your help.

Jemes

I agree that the long term future for this PC is not good. You should make sure that you take regular back-ups of your files and settings as one day this will not start.

AlbertLionheart said:
I agree that the long term future for this PC is not good. You should make sure that you take regular back-ups of your files and settings as one day this will not start.

Thanks again for your help.

Guess I better start looking for a new one.

Jemes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back