Booting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I think this is the right place to post this. I had problems with my computer booting before so I had the motherboard replaced and the hard drive replaced. Now the new gigabyte motherboard loads but everytime I load next morning the computer wont start all it gets to is where it tells the motherboard brand and stops. I need to turn it off again and start again then after a few goes it will work fine? It wont happen if I have used the comp all day and turned it off for 15 mins and then started again but if its long time or overnight then it happens.

Plz help no tec seems to be able to work it out?

thanks in advanced to any advise.

It's unexpected behavior for sure. So there's definitely a problem.

The boot process is simliar to this:
  • Power supply kick-starts the system
  • Processor loads the BIOS
  • BIOS performs a self-test (POST)
  • BIOS loads display adapter BIOS
  • BIOS displays splash screen or system details
  • BIOS performs additional memory count/check
  • BIOS catalogs installed hardware
  • BIOS searches for and initializes storage devices

It looks like you're hanging up around the memory / hardware check. I'd give www.memtest.org a shot and create a bootable memory diagnostic disc or diskette. Let the test run for several hours. Does it pass? If it does great, if it doesn't... Doh. Next thing I would try is to update the BIOS to the latest version. Consult the manufacturer's website for the latest BIOS and details on installation.

Thanks Rick,

I actually tested the memory I even had my local computer place do a test on the memory. The Bios is upto date. My question is based on my problem could it be the power supply? or am I barking up the wrong tree? Oh and if not could the CPU be doing this sort of thing or the video card? cos this is the only "old hardware" left in the comp.

thanks.

I would defintely check the PSU. a PSU that is going bad\unstable can cause all kinds of problems. you can check the voltages with a freeware program called speedfan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back