Bought a pc over ebay, did i get ****'** over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geno2k3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116225
(^ processor)

celeron D 3.2ghz 533mhz fsb 256kb l2
2gb ddr400 memory
160 gb ata HD
agp-x8 mobo (video card sold seperatly, probaly gonna get ati 9600xt 256mb)
optical mouse + keyboard
sound blaster ac 97
450w psu
no monitor

Grand total (with tax and shipping) = $465.00

1st: did i make a bad choice and get ripped off?
2nd: will this pc be able to handle games like world of warcraft, call of duty 2, wc3:tft, ect. (with the assumption i get a 9600xt 256mb 500mhz core clock)
3rd: would it be better if i replaced the celeron d with a more better processor? say p4 dual core?

thanks if you can answer these three questions for me that would be great, be brutaly honest too.

BTW: i do realize i could have built a way better computer for the same price but i was too lazy to do that becouse last time i fried my mobo.

geez

that celeron is overclocked..celeron dont run that high
ill let you in a story..my friend went to compusa and sad some celerons in the 3 gigahertz and ask the saleperson..the saleperson said they got overclocked manually ..haha

blue_dragon said:
that celeron is overclocked..celeron dont run that high
ill let you in a story..my friend went to compusa and sad some celerons in the 3 gigahertz and ask the saleperson..the saleperson said they got overclocked manually ..haha

i think you are talking about the old celerons, the one that will be shipped to me is a celeron d with stock 3.2ghz ;/ but crappy l2 256kb cashe

yes celeron Ds do get that high of clock speed from the factory.

an Intel Celeron D 352 series gets 3.2GHz if im not mistaken. Heck my Celeron D 340 that i have in my eMachines PC runs at 2.93GHz natively

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
yes celeron Ds do get that high of clock speed from the factory.

an Intel Celeron D 352 series gets 3.2GHz if im not mistaken. Heck my Celeron D 340 that i have in my eMachines PC runs at 2.93GHz natively

ooo can you please tell me how it runs, temp, and especialy how it performs on games.

geno2k3 said:
ooo can you please tell me how it runs, temp, and especialy how it performs on games.

Runs: It runs pretty good, sounds like a wind tunnel when it first powers up, for about 5 sec. then it goes pretty silent. I run Windows XP w/512MB RAM and it runs good.

Temp: it runs fairly cool, when you launch a CPU intensive app like an antiirus scanner, it gets a little warm, but i've never had any trouble with it overheating.

games: you do need to realize that Celerons are not meant for games. light games like MS flight Sim 2004, and The sims 2 it runs ok, but then again i have an Nvidia card with 128MB DDR2 RAM on it so i dont know aout your GPU. but its not meant for intense games. For that stuff go with a Pentium D or an Athlon X2. I mainly use it for web browsing and office apps like MS word, excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. I use my laptop whitch has an Intel Core Duo w/1GB RAM for my more intense games.

All in all, if you are just looking for a CPU to browse the web, use MS Office, then the Celeron is a good choice. But if your using it for games, i would reccomedn stepping up to the more powerful Intel Pentium D 900 series CPU

geno2k3, ur system is quite good, except for the processor. An upgrade to the Pentium D I posted will not cost u too much and give u a much, much better performing machine. The 9600XT is a good card and will be able to play almost all new games out there quite comfortably. So don't worry about that.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
geno2k3, ur system is quite good, except for the processor. An upgrade to the Pentium D I posted will not cost u too much and give u a much, much better performing machine. The 9600XT is a good card and will be able to play almost all new games out there quite comfortably. So don't worry about that.

i probaly wont be upgrading the processor but i will be getting a x1600 pro 256 mb agp 8x 500 mhz core clock 800 mhz mem clock.. pritty good vid card imo.

As i mentioned earlier, This Celeron D series is NOT meant for gaming, now if you want powerful gaming power, step up to the Pentium D 900 series like Rage 3K Moiz and I mentioned earlier

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
As i mentioned earlier, This Celeron D series is NOT meant for gaming, now if you want powerful gaming power, step up to the Pentium D 900 series like Rage 3K Moiz and I mentioned earlier

well its looking like i have no choice now... so games like cod2, cs:s, wow are gonna be realy slow? sluggish? or unplayable?

Celeron D's are not complete junk for games. I had a 9600XT with a Celeron D 335, and it managed to play games very acceptable, like San Andreas, PoP: two thrones, even played PRETTY good Far Cry...

the cheapest p-d 805 (im on a budget) is not much better in performance compared to the 3.2 ghz celeron i have... probaly a 10% increase... not worth 100 bucks.

can anyone compare this cpu (celeron d 531 3.2 ghz) to amd athlon xp 2800+ 3000+ p4 2.6 ghz ect... i cant seem to find many things on this video card.

No, it is worth that money. The performance increase will be much greater, about 50-60% more plus the Celeron is not dual-core. For 100 bucks u r getting a good dual core processor that will help u multitask and give u superb performance as compared to the Celeron D.
Ur video card is quite good and a 512MB version will not cost too much more and give it a significant power boost.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
No, it is worth that money. The performance increase will be much greater, about 50-60% more plus the Celeron is not dual-core. For 100 bucks u r getting a good dual core processor that will help u multitask and give u superb performance as compared to the Celeron D.
Ur video card is quite good and a 512MB version will not cost too much more and give it a significant power boost.

ive seen a few benchmarks where the pentium d 805 did not perform well. it was only a 10% increase in efficientcy, if you could, show me some benchmarks that prove its waaay better then a celeron d becouse im on a tight budget.

geno2k3 said:
ive seen a few benchmarks where the pentium d 805 did not perform well. it was only a 10% increase in efficientcy, if you could, show me some benchmarks that prove its waaay better then a celeron d becouse im on a tight budget.

geno2K3, but it seems that what you are not understanding is that a Celeron has only 1 single core, but the Pentium D, even if it does have a lower clock speed than the Celeron D, has 2 but the Pentium D has double the proccessing power of a regular CPU. so if it has a clock speed of 2.8GHz, technically it runs at 5.6GHz combining the power between the two of them. An excellent way to dexcribe the difference b/t a single CPU and a double CPU is running a virus scan, and a game at the same time.

in a regular CPU, lets take you Celeron D as an example, the two programs have fight for CPU power, so thats where that "hanging" effect and that dreaded hourglass come from.

In a Dual Core CPU each program has its own separate area to proccess its functions, so therefor, usually there is not as much of a degrade in performance. Yes, granted an AV scanner takes up alot of CPU power, b/c it has to scan everything in the computer, but if you compare that to a single core CPU, there is really no comparison.

i have a Celeron D 340 series that run at 2.93GHz in my emachines PC, and it runs good, but when i run the AV scanner, my PC is virtually useless, while that proccess is running, b/c it takes up almost 100% of the resources. and that Celeron D is NOT meant for gaming, as i stated earlier. If you even read the description on intels Website www.intel.com it even says that its a reliable CPU for basic, home, and home office, apps. not games.

i stongly reccommed stepping up to he Pentium D 900 series CPU for gaming power.

...AMD

geno2k3 said:
can anyone compare this cpu (celeron d 531 3.2 ghz) to amd athlon xp 2800+ 3000+ p4 2.6 ghz ect...
all three of those processors are simlilar in performance, and my guess is that they would all be better than a celeron.

the Athlon-XP's are an older processor line that was comparable to a 2.8GHz/3.0Ghz socket-478 P4. the newer socket-939/AM2 Athlon-64's or Athlon-X2's are comparable to socket-775 P4's or P-D's. which would obviously be better than a celeron.

but no AMD processor is an option for you unless you plan on buying a new mobo

cheers :wave:

yes im taking your advise guys and im gonna save up for a pentium d 930 3.0 ghz 4mb L2 and a x1600 vid card. thanks alot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back