'Breaking Bad' secret to success is in the technology: HD, DVR, Netflix

Shawn Knight

Staff member

breaking bad hdtvs netflix hdtv

Breaking Bad will go down in history as one of the best original dramas ever. From the acting to the writing, everything about the show was spot-on but according to cinematographer Michael Slovis, the real secret to success for the Emmy award-winning series is technology.

During a recent interview with Forbes, Slovis said one of the first steps to success was HD programming. This technology allowed the story creator Vice Gilligan to provide more freedom than what might have previously been possible.

Widescreen televisions have become more affordable and commonplace during the last seven years, he pointed out, which meant HD became the norm. Specifically, his allowed the crew to show people what they were doing without having to tell stories in the old style of close-up after close-up.

Slovis also pointed out that streaming media and DVRs were instrumental in growing the show from a cult favorite to a mainstream success. True enough, as there was once a point where Netflix could accurately claim that more people saw Breaking Bad through their service than on AMC. Key to building an audience, Slovis suggested, was allowing the audience to binge view and catch up.

AMC aired the series finale of Breaking Bad on Sunday night. There are no spoilers in the off chance that you somehow missed (and let’s try to keep it that way for those that haven’t seen it) it but if you did catch the series from start to finish, what did you think? How would you compare it to other hit shows like Dexter that also just completed their run?

Permalink to story.

Agreed, good finale. It felt so much better and in place than Dexter's, though admittedly the latter had to be dark and hard to cope with if you wanted to keep in line with the series' nature.

The best part about Breaking Bad was the way the characters got out of tough situations. Many times during the show Walt (the main character) would get himself into a spot that could result in his arrest or death. You, as the viewer knows he won't die or get caught because you're only in Season 2 of 5, but you also don't know how he's going to get himself out of his jam.

In other shows there would be some serendipitous resolution. Like a police officer would just happen to drive by and save him, or the guard who's about to bust him gets a phone call at exactly at the right second to call him away. In Breaking Bad that doesn't happen. Walt always finds his own way out, and it's a solution you never see coming.

It makes the show awesome.

Amazing series and a great way to end it. Breaking Bad was one of those rare TV shows that was incredible from start to finish.

@ Julio, I felt Dexter probably ran a season or two past its prime. The final season sucked in my opinion and the ending was pretty rubbish. Maybe I am being harsh but I really loved the first few seasons of that show.

This may sound odd, but I'm glad the show has gotten to its end. Things were getting far too far-fetched and a lot of the times the outcome was almost too predictable, almost like "No Kidding, Walt got away, Again..." The ending was alright, nothing special, just more of Walt's over the top ingenuity and luck allowing him to overcome just about every obstacle. Still a joy to watch none the less, even if things were starting to feel dragged out.

I felt Dexter probably ran a season or two past its prime. The final season sucked in my opinion and the ending was pretty rubbish. Maybe I am being harsh but I really loved the first few seasons of that show.

Well it wasn't the worse season out of the 8 but not the best, the ending was a little disappointing, gave Deb the old last second curve ball. The first two or three seasons were easily the best, probably because they were more based on the first couple novels than the more resent seasons.

What am I suppose to do now ?

wow , I have no life
well, new tv shows are here:
Sunday, September 29, 2013: Homeland season 3
Monday, October 7, 2013 Supernatural season 8
Sunday, October 13, 2013 The Walking Dead season 4

and you are here in www.techspot.com, your other life outside your favorite tv shows.

well, new tv shows are here:
Sunday, September 29, 2013: Homeland season 3
Monday, October 7, 2013 Supernatural season 8
Sunday, October 13, 2013 The Walking Dead season 4

and you are here in www.techspot.com, your other life outside your favorite tv shows.

Supernatural was a typo right? I will give you till the end of the day to remove that ;)

BB wasn't always great but it was original, very well written and plotted, had excellent DPs and directors, and all the actors did a fantastic job. And the finale was satisfying and logical, unlike other shows like LOST, Sopranos, Dexter...

BB wasn't always great but it was original, very well written and plotted, had excellent DPs and directors, and all the actors did a fantastic job. And the finale was satisfying and logical, unlike other shows like LOST, Sopranos, Dexter...
I love HBO's previous offerings like Deadwood (3 seasons ?) and Rome (2 seasons). Too bad those shows were never renewed.

Steve, I'm tempted to add 'the vampire diaries' and 'true blood'. :p. I really like supernatural because of the unusual (at least to me) presentation of different mythologies of different cultures. and the babes are hot.:D

and on the previous tv series LOST: I have watched the entire show perhaps 5x and I still cannot understand what it is about. reading some LOST fan forums were not helpful as die-hard fans could not even agree if 'the island' was purgatory or time travel or whatever.

Back