Fallout 4 mod downloads skyrocket following launch of TV series

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In context: Amazon hit a home run with new TV series Fallout, which is based on Bethesda's popular post-apocalyptic shooter franchise. The standalone show stayed faithful to the game's lore while also adding to it, pleasing long-time fans and newcomers. The series was popular enough that producers have green-lit a second season less than a week after its debut.

Fallout's instant success has also renewed interest in the Bethesda games, mainly Fallout 4. In recent weeks, I have caught several of my gaming friends playing the nine-year-old shooter. Of course, renewed interest in the game also means a resurgence of mod downloads, especially for Bethesda games which all need "fix-it" mods. Traffic on a more popular game modding site, Nexus Mods, has become so high that congestion caused some problems over the weekend.

On April 19, the site began having issues serving content to users at 21:06 UTC. An investigation determined that a download spike of Fallout-related content caused the slowdown.

"We are experiencing much more traffic than usual due to the popularity of the Fallout TV series," the status page reads. "We have deployed extra resources where possible , and we are monitoring the uptime and performance across the network. We have staff on call at all times to deal with any problems."

Although it allocated extra resources, it reports that it was still experiencing heavy traffic as of Monday and is trying to resolve the "impacted performance."

There are many new show-related mods, like avatar recreations of Cooper Howard/The Ghoul and Lucy MacLean (character editor settings). Several Lucy-specific add-ons including Vault 33 jumpsuits, a Lucy SPECIAL preset (stats), a Vault 33 backpack, and Fallout icon replacements featuring Lucy's face.

We browsed the website for a few minutes and encountered no page-loading slowdowns. The website seems pretty responsive. However, Nexus might have reduced the congestion enough that the front end is operating smoothly while downloading or backend performance is still subpar. The company is actively monitoring the situation to determine a course of action.

Fallout 4 is not the first game to garner renewed attention thanks to a well-done TV series. Netflix secured its biggest debut ever with its adaptation of CD Projekt Red's The Witcher. Shortly after its debut, Steam analytics showed The Witcher 3 had hit a concurrent-player peak of 50,354, the highest number it had reached since the Blood and Wine expansion launched in 2016.

Unfortunately, The Witcher TV show's popularity steadily waned after Season 1. Unlike Fallout, producers based The Witcher more on Andrzej Sapkowski's novels than the games. However, the producers thought they needed to "dumb down" the story for a Western audience, which displeased fans. Showrunners recently announced that Season 5 would be the series finale.

As long as Amazon continues working closely with Executive Producer Jonathan Nolan, writers Geneva Robertson-Dworet and Graham Wagner, and Bethesda, it should be able to expand on its success with Season 2.

Permalink to story:

Is there a mod that makes the game not suck? I tried some mods to fix issues with the game in the past, but nothing really helped. Has someone completely redone the game to make it good?

Is there a mod that makes the game not suck? I tried some mods to fix issues with the game in the past, but nothing really helped. Has someone completely redone the game to make it good?
Check out "A StoryWealth" under Nexus collections. It's a bundle of 735 mods. I recently downloaded this over the weekend because Bethesda is updating the game and will likely break all mods for the foreseeable future. They also list steps to prevent the update so you can still play with mods.

Does the game suck or is it a gamer issue?
You have to admit your opinion is going against millions of other gamers that think otherwise.

Does the game suck or is it a gamer issue?
You have to admit your opinion is going against millions of other gamers that think otherwise.
You're one of those guys that likes every game out there. Got it. Therefore your opinion about anyone else's opinion on games is irrelevant.

Fallout 4 isn't the strongest game in the series but it's still decent and well worth a play through. Loving the show so far. Turns out Amazon CAN actually make decent adaptations if they stick (broadly) to the lore and themes of the source material and employ competent writers and cast.

Anyone know when second series of Rings of Power comes out? Anyone?

Shame Nexus Mods went woke.
Long long ago. And I am not even
angry at them for promoting stuff they worship.
I am repulsed by their censoring of stuff like mods
that remove certain elements from games.
Like seriously, imagine every game forced you to
do a prayer, wear Christian symbolics as a
character and listen to sermons. This all only proves what I am stating;
this not an ideology, it is a new Western religion.

Fallout 4 isn't the strongest game in the series but it's still decent and well worth a play through. Loving the show so far. Turns out Amazon CAN actually make decent adaptations if they stick (broadly) to the lore and themes of the source material and employ competent writers and cast.

Anyone know when second series of Rings of Power comes out? Anyone?
It was delayed. I am almost certain that it was due to massive reshoots. It is possible they had some material ready before the first season ended or even aired. Maybe, when they saw how negative it was taken by the viewers, they simply could not dare to release what they "crafted."
So, reshoots, and more reshoots.
I am almost certain it was very similar in quality to the first one.
Angry Galadriel galadrieling everybody around.

You're one of those guys that likes every game out there. Got it. Therefore your opinion about anyone else's opinion on games is irrelevant.
Starfield sucks. FO4 was GOTY. The game was actually decent. I don't think anything you do will make you like it, it sounds like you've just already decided to hate it before giving it a shot. Like you played for 15 min years ago and got bored and went to play something shorter and simpler that could hold your attention better.

Back