Broadband vs. DSL ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickM

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read this message.
I have been thinking of switching from Broadband to DSL.
Could one of you "Pro's" tell me if I will experience a BIG loss in data speed ?
I have heard they have improved DSL over the years.
Any information will be appreciated.
Thank you.
Rick.

DSL is a form of broadband Internet so you might need to rephrase the question. Are you thinking about going from a cable connection (via the Television cabling) to DSL ?

Hi Didou,
Thank you for your reply,
I currently have “Broadband” same line a my television line.
I am thinking of switching to DSL service.

Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) connection. DSL is a very high-speed connection that uses the same wires as a regular telephone line. Data Speed =768K

Broadband
:
Speed comparisons are for downloads only and are compared to 768Kbps DSL and 56Kbps dial-up. Maximum download speed of 4Mbps (or 6 Mbps) and upload speeds of 384Kbps (or 768Kbps) depending on the product that is selected. Actual speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Many factors affect download speed.
Broadband speed tiers range from 4.0 to 8.0 Mbps download speed (maximum upload speed from 384Kbps to 768Kbps respectively). Speed comparisons are for downloads only and are compared to (as applicable, to 56K dial-up, 768Kbps, 1.5Mbps or 3.0Mbps DSL). Actual speeds may vary and are not guaranteed. Many factors affect speed.

In most areas the service between the two is even.

As long as the download speeds and upload speeds match then they should be functionally the same (give or take).

DSL gives you a dedicated amount of bandwidth, cable gives you a little more perhaps but it is shared and if all your neighbors are on the net you may notice a decrease in speed.

That all said, I have cable at home and DSL at work. I find them about the same for speed. If the service is good where you are, then the only thing I would move for is dollar savings.

Thank you TDEG,
Your explaination was straight forward,complete and very helpful.
I am going for the savings.... Cable is getting to be very expensive... $49.+ per month.
I apprciate your help.
Rick

just some background.
I am 7.5 miles from the telco switching facility and DSL is not an option per the telco rep. Problem: too much cross-talk and impedence and the thruput would be terrible and unreliable. I had to wait years to get cable HS and it has been worth it.

DSL ~786kb download
Cable >2.5 MB download (see test me

also use standard phones as-is w/o special adaptors :)

Yeah cable is definitely worth the extra money. The download speeds are so much faster then dsl its crazy.

It really depends on where you are in regards to which is faster.

In the city where I live the two are comparable in areas.

With DSL, the distance from the switching office is the key. With cable this isn't much of an issue.

The cable company here has upgraded alot of their cable and such so they are better now, but when I first got cable I definitely noticed a dip in speed around supper time. There were times when I was down to dial-up speeds. I didn't have that issue with DSL.

That said, early in the morning (3am ish) cable can be super fast. I've yet to hit the speeds they advertise but that is mostly because the servers I'm connecting to are the choke point.

My best speeds have been through Bearshare and Bittorrent. I've hit speeds of over 1MB per second download on them sustained at times. This is on both DSL and cable.

I use cable at home because it is very comparable on price and the company here gives you two IP address at no extra cost wheras the DSL will only give me one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back