Broken motherboad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadrunnermicke

Hi.
I bought a new motherboard to a computer. Now when I press the on button, nothing happend!
I have checked the system panel connectors, and they are correct installed.
I have only connect the RAM memory, graphic card, CPU and one hdd.
What could be wrong. I have tryed 2 different PSU and none work. and both work on a other computer.
Can it be that the MOBO is damage when bought?

Sincerelly Micke

I don't know what that means, but I have connected the 20 pins from the PSU and the POWER SW to system panel connector...
what can be the problem? can the psu and the motherboard be in conflict?
When i installed my old MOBO again the computer at least got som power, but that's broken so I didn't come so far, but at least some power came to the computer and the components started.

Now nothing happens? help, please =)

There is one thing i've done different. The fan/cooling that is placed above the PCU is 180 degreed turned because it tuches some other components on the motherboard when i tries to put it like it was on the other mobo. Can that be the problem?

The auxilary connector is a square 4pin connector (2 12v[yellow wire],2 ground[black wire] pins) to the motherboard seperite from the 20 pin main cannector.Look for a little white 4 pin square receptical on the motherboard. If your PSUs are older models they may not have this connector and you may need a new PSU. The PSUs with this connector are known as ATX12V PSUs.

My old MOBO had a 4 and 20 pin. And my PSU has also 4 and 20 pin(The PSU is a ATX12V). The new motherboard does not have the 4 pin.

Do I have to have a 4 pin on the new mobo? shouldn't all units get power from the 20 pin?

A 4-pin isn't necessary but it seams odd that a new motherboard doesn't have it. Do you have a link to the board's specs and what CPU and ram are you useing?

I found the specs on ASROCK's website. http://www.asrock.com/product/K7NF2-RAID.htm

This board requires the use of jumpers to set the CPU frequency and FSB. Have you set them correctly?

There is also the posibility that your power switch is dead. try shorting the pins for the power switch(labled PWRBTN on this board) with a flat head screwdriver to turn it on.

Also what Powersupplies have you tried. some asrock motherboards are extremly picky with powersupplies.

yeah, thats right http://www.asrock.com/product/K7NF2-RAID.htm

This board requires the use of jumpers to set the CPU frequency and FSB. Have you set them correctly
I haven't touched the jumpers for the CPU and FSB.
I don't know really what to do? My CPU is and AMD Athlon 2600+ (i think its frequency 1917 Mhz) as I can see in the CPU manual on the link above.
the FSB should be 333 Mhz.
Is it only the FSB SEL0 and FSb SEL01 I have to place correctly? or is it some other jumpers to?

The powersupplies i've tried is:
1. CHIEFTECH, ATX 12V, MAX 360W, MODEL HPC-360-202
2. ADDTRONICS, MODEL CWT-300ATX-A, MAX 300W.

Thanx for all the help guys!

//Mike

Well, now i have some bigger problems =(.. When i sat here on my other computer it came a really heavy bang from the AMD computer, the PSU started to smell and there was some smoke.. what happend?

That's probably a blown capacitor(some of the big ones sound like a bomb when they burst) in the PSU. The capacitor may have either overloaded or shorted out causeing it to burst. This may be caused by a short on the motherboard or in the powersupply itself.It could also be caused by a bad or overloaded PSU If it was hooked up it may have fried your motherboard.It apperas that this PSU did not have overvoltage protection or it's protection circuict was defective as an over voltage protection circuict should shut down a PSU before a capacitor could heat up enough to explode.

To answer your earlier question you need to move the FSB SEL jumpers to set the fsb to 333mhz as stated in the manual

Ok... the explosion was lika a bomb =)!!!

Well, so now my motherboard could be broken too. what do u mean with "a short on motherboard". Do u mean an electrician short? In that case, was the motherboard allready damage?
The strange thing is that the PSU wasn't damage earlier because it worked just fine with my old MOBO, or should I say, it did at least start up! The computer got some power. But with the new MOBO nothing happend as told. So i think the new MOBO caused this problem, otherwise a strange coincident. why just blow up now?

Before the PSU blow up i tried to put the FSB jumper at 333Mhz as the manual showed, but it didn't work anyway... the computer didn't get any power. The bad thing with the Motherboard is that it don't have any LED lamp so i can't see if theres really some power to it. What should i do now? some help with troubleshooting!?

I can try put in my other PSU and try again! But i've allready tried that once, but not after i've changed the jumpers, so it's worth a try..
Some other clue why it didn't worked yesterday when i changed the jumpers?

//Micke

yes I ment an electrical short.
It sounds like the new motherboard is defective and it probably killed the powersupply. If you can still return the board for a replacement I recomend you do so. unfortunitely you will need to replace the powersupply which was either damaged or destroyed by the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back