Broken Processor Pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arjuna

I recently moved my stuff over to my new Mobo and I don't know how it happened but one of the tiny pins on my processor was bent.. I straightened it out with a really small pair of tweezers but it was so loose it broke. I thought for the worse but I tried it anyway, popped it in and my computer started up like normal. I can still play games and everything.

Is this processor going to last any longer? Should I replace it? Bah I don't know what to do, people have been telling me they are shocked it even started up.

Wow, ya I thought a processor needed all the pins. I guess it doesn't. But it could very well die later. So I would get a new one.

Well

A dude I know baught a AMD FX-57 a while back with a bent pin, same thing happened, cracked it off trying to fix it.

2 years later he is still using it in his system, so maybe you will be fine ?

It may turn out that it will run ok, it depends on what pin it was.

If it's not one that's completely essential then you might be ok :)

Really, this should have gone in the CPU, Chipsets and Mobo's forum, but a mod should be along to move it for you ;)

Bah! Woops I am really sorry, could you please move it Mods? Well it was one of the outer pins, literally on the last row of them. I might pick up a new processor just in case, found a replacement really cheap. Always good to have a backup.

Look up the socket or processor specification and see which exact pin it was. It may have been some factory testing thing that is not needed for normal operation.

Well usually when I was doing too much at once my computer would obviously slow down, but sometimes now it just freezes up completely. Would that tiny missing pin have anything to do with it?

It might do, do what Nodsu suggested and look up the specification for that CPU and find out what the pin does. It might take a bit of work but it will tell you if it's hat's affecting the performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back