Browsers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SassyGirl

Hello

I wonder if anyone can help, could someone recommend a good Browser, and how do i temporarily disable Internet Explorer

Im getting loads of pop ups.

Helen

Firefox 1.0.3 is what I use. I really like the tabbed browsing, and that I don't get tons of popups and spyware anymore. Opera 8 is also good, if you don't mind the ad they display above the navigation buttons.
Firefox
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
Opera
http://www.opera.com/

I think I'd recommend Firefox most though. It is super customizeable with skins(themes, plastikfox crystal svg is my favorite), extensions, etc. It works on almost all websites for me. Opera seems to have more compatibility issues with sites, but is a little faster.

You don't really have to disable I.E.. You can set firefox or opera to be your default browser in the options. It's a bad idea to try to uninstall or disable I.E., since it's built into windows, it can cause problems.

Firefox is the top browser

Firefox is just about the best. I've been using it since version 0.5. It does the biz. Opera is a good alternative should you not take to Firefox.

Boots

As mentioned before, do NOT uninstall IE. You still need it, specifically to do Windoze updates, or for some online banking business.
And Firefox for everyday browsing would be my recommendation as well.

Fussy bank

Yea, the Woolwich insist on it. You'd thing a financial institution would have more compatability. I don't do money or much esle for that matter in IE.

Boots

Just getting a new browser won't get rid of your popup problems. You will need to clean up your computer to get rid of all of that.

Opera 8. Espically if you don't want to be downloading several extentions to get the features that Opera includes right out of the box:
Far superior tabbed browsing.
Paste and go.
Mouse Gestures.
Sessions.
Rewind.

A lot of Opera bashers cite the ad, but if you run a desktop resolution at or above 1152x864 (and arguably 1024x768) the ad height is smaller than your navagation buttons, and its over in the top right, where most people don't have buttons anyway.
I also find Opera's preferences to be easier to use and have more options. In Firefox you have to do about:config to get to many of the things Opera lets you play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back