BSOD after first time boot up. Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jat0rz

I recently upgraded all of my computer components, but the problem existed before this, just not as consistent. I was running Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate (RC Client) and it kept crashing on me at completely random times. It could have gone minutes, hours, or even days, but it was inevitable. I did all of the suggestions I read on other forums, trying old RAM, running the memtest, etc... The memtest would randomly come up with the only error being WinVC, but that was never consistent. I had Corsair replace my RAM with new stuff and still received the same issue. I figured it was probably an issue with the RC Client. I put Windows Vista 32bit back on, and the problem went away, for awhile. I can not remember completely, but I am pretty sure it froze all the same, randomly.

I recently upgraded my computer to the follow specs:

AMD Phenom II 945 x4 3.0 GHz Quad Core Processor
G.Skillz Ripjaw Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR 1600 RAM (Runs at 1300 default)
Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Gamer Sound Card
ASUS EAH4890/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Western Digital Raptor X 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit

The problem still exists. Only this time, it only ever happens after my computer has been shut off for the night. Upon first boot up, I will get to the windows login screen, and within 2 minutes it will crash, flash a quick BSOD, usually IRQL is less than or equal to..." and then restart. I have to hold the power button and force it to shutdown (if it restarts on its own, it crashes again sometimes), then turn it back on, and it runs fine, for the rest of the day. I can restart it with no problem. It is always just that initial boot up first thing in the morning that causes it to crash once.

Anyone have any ideas?

Oh, the only old hardware components are my sound card, and my hard drive. It isn't the sound card because I had this problem with on-board sound as well.

Is my hard drive going bad?

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the hard drive was completely formatted. I am running a fresh Windows 7 Install, with minimal programs installed on the computer. I thought purchasing the real version of Windows 7 would eliminate the problem, so I received and installed it yesterday, but I guess not.

If you get any errors in Memtest you have corrupted memory that has to be replaced. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes and more the better.

Run the test per stick and again for the minimum of 7 Passes unless you start receiving prior to 7 and you can stop because you know it is bad.

However, two other considerations:

1. Asus boards are quite well known about being picky about the RAM installed on each and every board model they make. They provide for every model a Quality Vendor List of the RAM suitable for the models.

Check that provided list and see if your GSkill is on that list for your model.

2. Go to your BIOS and check the voltage settings for your memory and compare that setting to GSkill's voltage parameters. If there is a descrepency then set the voltage in the BIOS to GSkill's specs.

* Do #1 first.

For number 1... I grabbed my mobo book that came with it, and looked up the QVL.

My model number is F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH

Under the 1600 RAM section, there are only 2 G Skillz listed, and the only 4 gig (kit of 2) listed, is identical except for the last 2 letters, which is instead, PI, not RH.

I am going to run the mem test shortly. I just wanted to give you this information.

Oh and my mother board model is ASUS M4A78T-E

As for number 2, I have not been to the BIOS yet to give you the exact info (im not confident in overclocking, even though I have the capability in doing so with my setup, im not sure what I am doing) however the last time I checked, I was looking to allow my RAM to run at 1600, not 1300 which it is defaulted to. The QVL lists the RAM close to mine as running with a timing of
7-7-7-18 at 1.9 voltage, but I am pretty sure that is not the case as of right now.

If I never turn my computer off, and let it run all day and night, I will never encounter a problem. Again, it is only when it has been completely shut off for a few hours (over night) that it crashes a single time.

And one final note, keep in mind, I had this same problem, but much worse, prior to upgrading everything. The only thing that is not new is my hard drive.

I went into the BIOS and could not find anything related to the voltage or timing of my RAM that was plainly visible. Everything is set to Auto.

I turned AI Overclock Tuner to [Manual] from [Auto] and DRAM Timing/Driving Config showed up. This is what was listed underneath:

DRAM Command Rate [Auto]
DRAM 1st Info: 9-9-9-24-5-33-10-4
DRAM 2nd Info: 8-2-5-4-4-110-0
TREF [Auto]

Again, I know nothing about overclocking so I left everything defaulted to Auto.

How can I find out what voltage it is currently running at?

I ran CPU-Z. Check this link out. This gives some RAM info.

(I cannot post the link until I have atleast 5 posts so stand by.)

Voltage according to your last post's info is 1.5. What are GSkill's voltage specs for this memory?

By the way, excellent cpu.

Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Speed DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Cas Latency 7
Timing 7-7-7-24
Voltage 1.6V
ECC No
Buffered/Registered Unbuffered
Multi-channel Kit Dual Channel Kit
Heat Spreader Yes

Thats off the newegg tech spec I ordered from. Hmm.. 1.6V and 7-7-7-24 timing. Neither match up. I cannot figure out how to change my timing/voltage in the BIOS though.

Also, my ram is running at 1300, default setting I assume.

First, I checked out your motherboard and it is certainly packed.

Second, for your memory to run at 1600 you are going to have to overclock because the highest default setting is what your RAM is currently set at. You don't have to overclock. If this set of RAM is compatible it will do fine at 1300.

Third, check out the following link about your BIOS settings for voltage. You need to access the AI Tweak. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-m4a78t-e_4.html#sect0

From reading the articles in the link you gave me, I seemed to have overlooked the fact that I could have a faulty PSU? My PSU is also an old component of my previous computer.

I just ran Memtest86 for 7 passes on my first stick of RAM. Zero errors. I am going to run it again with the other stick.

While running memtest it showed this:

666 MHz (DDR 1333) / CAS 9-9-9-24 / DDR3 64 Bits

The computer runs amazingly, so I do not really see the need to overclock the RAM unless it leads to solving this random, 1 time BSOD crash everytime I turn my computer on from a long period of being shutdown.

If the next memtest shows no errors, what is our next step?

I am still suspecting that the RAM itself isn't corrupted but either a) the motherboard did not set the voltage correctly or b) the memory isn't on the Qualified Vendors List.

You're doing good work and memtesting your memory one stick at a time is important even if you don't find any errors.

* Give us your make and model of your PSU and how many watts it purports to put out.

Well the memory is not on the QVL list that came with the booklet. There is something similar, but it is off by 2 letters which regardless, is not on the QVL list. Perhaps there is an updated QVL list on their website I will look for.

Thanks for the compliment! Now, you may find this interesting. I have no idea what it means, but after running memtest86 on the second stick of RAM, right off the bat I was getting errors....

Tst: 1 Pass: 0 Failing Address: 00037c22c00 - 892.1 MB

Good: 37c22c00 Bad: 33c22c00 Err-Bits: 04000000 Count: 1 Chan:

Pass 17 Errors 378 Test: Std (I let it run over night).

Any idea what this means?

What I am going to do now is let the 1 good stick of RAM run. I will leave it in overnight with the computer off, and after several hours I will turn it back on and see if I get my 1 BSOD at bootup or not.

Give me a minute, I am going to pull out the PSU and get the info for you.

Well I was wrong. I put the good stick of RAM back in the computer, removing the bad stick of RAM, and as soon as I got to the Windows Login Screen, it flashed a BSOD, restarted. I let it go back to Windows Login Screen, it got stuck loading. I let it self restart one more time, it crashed again. I then held the power button to force shut it down and then turned it back on. No problems after that.

It will continuously crash over and over, unless I hold the power button and force it to shut down.

This is very confusing.

I looked at the QVL list again. None of the G.Skill RAM listed has a timing of 7-7-7-24 w/ a voltage of 1.6 My RAM is not on the QVL.

Oh you asked for my PSU info. Here it is:

BFG Tech 650 Watt
BFGR650PSU

Sorry for posting so much. I am looking up a lot of information.

Newegg shows the RAM listed on the QVL as being deactivated.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=f3-12800cl7d-4gbpi-_-20-231-177-_-Product

So I get errors when I run memtest on that one particular stick of RAM, and none with the other. However, regardless of which one is in, I still receive the 1 time BSOD crash over and over until I hold my power button to shut it off. Then the problem goes away.

Any errors in Memtest and you have got corrupted memory except we have these two sticking points of memory not listed on the QVL and that the motherboard voltage parameters are different than the memory voltage specs.

NewEgg is excellent with customer service and RMAs. Contact them and tell them of your Memtest results concerning errors. Since this came in a set you'll have to send back the full set.

Then see if you can exchange it for a memory that meets the QVL list.

* Also, attach those BSODs that happened with the one "good" stick but please don't Zip them individually.

* Whoa! I checked the specs on your RAM and the voltage is 1.9 and your motherboard's default RAM voltage is 1.5.

Ok I am going to contact newegg and see what they can do.

How do I attach BSOD's? Sorry, I have never had to do that.

Ok I am going to contact newegg and see what they can do.

How do I attach BSOD's? Sorry, I have never had to do that.

Sorry, I should have said minidumps and not BSODs because minidump files are written because of BSODs.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. If you have 3 or less you can attach as is. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

No problem, I will do that right after this post. I wanted to let you know what happened. I had to go out for a few hours to do some work so my computer had a chance to sit, powered down, with the 1 supposed good stick of RAM.

I booted it up. It got to the windows login screen, but did not display my name. Instead, it sat there, loading, and then after about 10 seconds the screen went all crazy with zig zag lines, and the BSOD popped up, quickly, saying "PFN List Corrupt" and then restarted the computer.

I let it go to see if it would boot up without being forcefully shut off. This time it got to the login screen, played the windows theme music (it didn't the first time), I typed in my password, clicked login, it loaded. I went to check my email using Windows Live Mail but before I could click it a box popped up telling me "Windows Explorer has stopped working" and then it crashed again, but this time the BSOD said "IRQL Not Less or Equal something.."

I then held the power button down to shut it off, rebooted, and everything is perfect, as always.

Alright let me go ahead and get those minidumps uploaded.

Attached is a zip folder containing the only 3 files that were in the minidump folder. I tried to uploaded individually but it said the files were too big (270k, max is 200k). Hope I did it right.

Oh and I must have missed when you said "whoa I checked out your specs" about the RAM voltage being 1.9v but the default motherboard setting is 1.5v.

On the stick of RAM the sticker says:

F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH
DDR3-1600 CL7-7-7-24 1.6v
PC3-12800 2GBx2

I know that the RAM listed on the QVL that is the most similar to mine is said to have 1.9v but my ram is supposed to be 1.6v

Attachments

• minidumps.zip
    66.5 KB · Views: 2
Tried running memtest86 over night... I turned the monitor off so I could sleep (bright blue screen doesn't help), and when I woke up this morning I turned the monitor back on but it wouldn't turn fully on. I assume the computer froze at some point because it was still running (I could hear it) but it didn't seem to be processing anything. Pretty annoying... I was trying to test the "good" stick of RAM.

Two more 0xA errors citing only a Windows OS driver.

And another 0x4E error that specifically cited memory corruption.

Alright so should I send my RAM in to get replaced? Newegg offered to refund me my money for my RAM and then I can purchase different RAM. However, G.Skill also told me I could send the RAM in and have it replaced with the same stuff. What do you think?

As for the Windows OS Driver BSOD's... what do I do about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back