BSOD at startup in Win7, Linux still works

LordGopu

I built a computer with Win7 at the end of last year and everything has always worked fine. 2500k, 560ti, 8 gigs Gskill. A couple of weeks ago I bought a second HDD and installed Linux Mint Cinnamon on it. Again, everything was fine. I could switch between the two OSs no problem, games worked, virtual machines, any kind of taxing stuff.

I moved this weekend and I was super careful with my computer but when I hooked it up at the new place, Windows was no longer able to boot. The Linux boot loader was still there and I was able to get into Mint (which seemed to be working). Also, Mint automatically mounts the Windows HDD and I was able to browse the filesystem so at least the Windows HDD seems to be working.

I tried booting from the OS disc and running some of the repair tools. Some seemed to detect the OS (unless they were detecting the Linux OS) and others didn't. I ran bootrec.exe and tried to fix the boot sector and MBR but it didn't help and unfortunately I think I made Mint inaccessible (probably lost the pointer to the boot loader though I'm not clear on how this works).

I'm not sure where to go from here. I was hoping that by putting the Linux OS disc in I could maybe access the existing installation (maybe recreate the boot loader, I don't know). Then for Windows I don't know. I think I'll have to reinstall but at least if I can get Linux up again I can back up my Windows files.

I would like to know what happened that suddenly damaged the Windows OS. Could it have to do with the fact that Linux mounts the filesystem? I assume that when I shut down Mint it unmounts the NTFS filesystem but maybe when it goes to sleep or if there is a power outage, maybe it damages the filesystem somehow. Any thoughts?

Any time you move a computer and have trouble with it in the new location, the first thing to check are the internal connections and cables. Also, sometimes the CMOS battery has troubles

I did check the cables but not overly thoroughly (like I only checked the stuff directly related to the HDDs themselves). I figured since I could access the Windows HDD via the Linux HDD, the connections must be good. I think it may just be a coincidence though normally I don't believe in coincidence. I didn't use my computer for many days before the move and the few times I did I only booted into Linux. This could have been happening before the move and I just didn't notice it. I will open it up now that I have daylight and check it completely.

I have no idea. All I get when I boot now is "Missing operating system". Safe mode didn't work either when I tried it back when it first happened. I can only get into the BIOS at this point.

Make sure that the SATA type settings are set as they were before the move. If they were set as AHCI or RAID they must still be that way. If not, or they're set IDE, the C drive will not be "seen".

I'm not sure what they were set to before the move. I never changed anything in the BIOS. Right now it says IDE.

It's possible but I figured since I could still browse it through Linux it probably hadn't died. I'm going to try to get Linux working again and see where I can go from there.

Since the bios were set for IDE, you need not worry about that issue. So you had 2 partitions. One for Linux and one for Windows?

Not even. Two hard drives entirely. The first had Win7 and the second Mint 13. I think Linux is still there but I think I made it inaccessible by trying to repair Windows (I think one of the Windows repair tools deleted the boot loader).

Back