BSoD During XP Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidcarlson

Has anyone ever heard of getting the Blue Screen of Death during a clean install of XP? It happens right in the beginning when all of the devices are being installed on the bottom of the screen. Any insight would be appreciated.

That is definitely a new on me, but I don't know it all !
Was XP on this machine before?
You will want to confirm Hardware compatiblility,
Confirm device connections, cables ,Jumpers, etc,
Also cheque the CD for soil , marks, etc, Although I doubt this is the problem.
You may need to physically uninstall all unnecessary devices and periferals , until you get XP loaded.
You got a drver conflict somewhere.

It would be great if you can tell us what the stop screen reads at the top. It could be a number of things. :)

HARDWARE:

1)Intel Pentium D 940 Presler 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Dual Core Processor

2)Gigabyte GA-G1975X Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X
ATX Intel Motherboard

3)pqi TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)
Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory

4)550 Watt SurePower ATX Internal Power Supply

5)GeForce 6600 Video Card, PCI Express, 256MB DDR

6)Seagate 300GB Hard Drive 7200RPM, Internal, SATA/150

7)MegaSTOR Triple Format 16x8x16 Internal ATA DL DVD+/-RW Drive

What I have done thus far:

boots from cd rom installing xp ... makes it to the end of driver check then blue screen of death

hard drive was thought to be misfunctional but i slaved it to another computer and it showed up ...

i formated, partitioned and installed xp pro on the drive , it was a bit pixelated like the os software
didn't install excatly perfect but it was booting windows from that drive...

when i put it back in computer in development it said error loading the os ....

things to know: there is a digital 2 digit display on the mother board that flashes cl or 00 until the beep
that sounds the booting process then it dislays 2 number representing the tempature or speed , i'm not sure ....

it sometimes takes a minute or two for it to begin the boot process after power up which is a bit strange to me ....

i tried using the other computers drive with xp already installed in the computer in developement to see if it would boot ... it just black screened , restarted and it was an os error .... then i stabbed my eyeball with a fork HAHA just kidding, but I'm sure you know of the aggravation factor ;)

Well, thanks for the help guys. It ended up being a faulty HDD controller, so now until I can buy an SATA drive I have the HDD & DVD drive on the same ribbon cable. The HDD is master and the DVD is slave. Now I have a new problem! The aforementioned GeForce 6600 Video Card, PCI Express, 256MB DDR is not working. I believe it to be the motherboard again. The board has 2 PCI-E slots and neither of them detect the video card either in the BIOS or Windows. The card is good, because I installed it in another PC and it ran fine. I tried installing the chipset drivers again for the board but to no avail. Am I missing something or is the board just screwed? Thanks.

I have often had this problem but with another card. I usually find that ramming it hard in the slot (ooo err, but be careful!) may help. Even though it looked like it was in properly it wasnt. PCI-E devices can come out very easily, I know its a bit basic but worth a try. :D let me know how you got on...

:)

Just checking ,because you don't mention it in you reply.
Did you F6 that SATA early in the XP install attempt?
Sorry but sometimes the simple things !!!!!

I am having exactly the same problem. The blue screen happens when the installation is "starting windows". I have loaded the fail safe defaults in the bios no change. I have tried 2 different win xp pro disks, I have tried with and without raid and with for my 2 serial ata drives. I have tried with 1 serial ata drive. I have tried with a ide HD and no serial drives....... Now I am trying using just the primary ide for the dvd drive and one serial drive. $1300 in new pc parts and nothing but the bsod. This is really looking like a motherboard realted problem which is why I spent the $220 so I would not have to deal with such problems. And as we talk it would seem as though it was using the secondary ide was causing the problem. I am pissed off but thanks for saving me a lot of time witht his solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back