BSOD exclusively while playing Minecraft

stylestrauss

Hi, I got minecraft recently and has been playing it for a while.

It has been running smoothly until two days ago, when I continually played it for 3 hrs and got hit by a BSOD. Seems like it only affects me when I play for extended periods, since it never happens if I limit myself to within 1 hour.

Then, I have been getting it quite frequently for the past 2 days. When it happens once (after 2+ hrs of gaming), the nxt occurence happens in less than 10 mins (after rebooting and recovering).

If it helps, each time it happens, my save files get corrupted, in the sense that they disappear from the saved worlds list in game, but the files still exist in the save folder.

I have never gotten BSODs in any other instances, and since the reqs for minecraft is not that high, what may be the problem?

I attached my dump files.

Here is the info:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 18441

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF80002FC9A90
BCP3: FFFFF88009006090
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\ 032711-28938-01.dmp
C:\Users\Style Strauss\ AppData\Local\Temp\WER-35817-0.sysdata.xml

Blue screen view says its caused by mpsdrv.sys

My system specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @3.20GHz 3.20GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 4.00GB (3.87 GB usable)
64-bit operating system (=.=)

Attachments

• minudump.zip
    38.7 KB · Views: 4
Though nothing definitive was cited your error code is 0x3B and these are often caused by faulty video drivers. Therefore I suggest doing the following...

1. Download Driver Sweeper free version to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Sweeper but ONLY for the video card drivers. I had someone use it on their chipset drivers! If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay; just leave all other drivers alone.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

Video card drivers

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

But I need some more of it, so I hope you put up with me for a bit. :eek:

Firstly, how do you find the latest video card driver(s) for your computer?

Next, how do you uninstall your current video card driver? Are we talking about the display adapter from my computer<device manager<display adapter section? (mine is ATI Radeon HD 5450) If that is the one, will updating it directly from the device manager do? (there is an option from right clicking it that says update driver software)

Lastly, since im using HP, I have a ATI catalyst control centre and my HP support assistant is telling me to update my AMD graphics card driver. Will any of the two things help?

Once again, thank you.

Yes, they should help. Go to HP's website and find your exact system model. They will have the latest updates for your system including video drivers. Install those video drivers.

Absolutely no need to be sorry. We all start somewhere. :)

Just go ahead and update and we'll see how the process goes. Let's hold off uninstalling the old at this time. If you can save the new video card drivers to your desktop and then update. If you can't that is okay.

Thats awesome. Okay, I'll let you know on my next blue screen. Lets hope updating it solved the problem. One more question: will having blue screens do damage to your comp if it happens moderately frequently and is left untreated?

Excellent questions. Windows creates the Blue Screens because it is trying to protect your system from damage. Thus the reason it shuts down the system and creates minidump files for diagnosis purposes.

But if you let a system continuously Blue Screen then, yes, damage can occur. This is especially true if you have a faulty PSU because a faulty unit will damage motherboards, etc. Also, if a heatsink has failed on your cpu and it overheats the cpu will be damaged.

* Keep us updated.

Okay, seems to have no problem after updating the drivers. (I've tried it out today and it works fine.

Route 44, I am really grateful for your help. You are one hell of an ambassador =D

Having more or less the same problem

As I have almost exactly the same problem I thought I shouldn't create a new thread and instead I replied to this one. Sorry if I should have made another thread.

I also have trouble when using Minecraft or Minecraft_server (I think it might be a problem with Java) However, I followed your steps (uninstalled, cleaned with Driver Sweeper, then installed new video drivers) but I still got the BSoD.

My BSoD is slightly different though! So maybe it isn't related to the video drivers at all.

Here's what it shows within the BSoD:

Code:
Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000001E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005,0xFFFFF80002F118AA,0x0000000000000000,0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)

And here I'll paste here the problem details that windows gives me after the automatic reboot (Which, by the way, Windows offers me to send, but if I do send them, nothing happens, nothing at all):

Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	BlueScreen
  OS Version:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:	11274

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:	fc
  BCP1:	FFFFF880035E2DFC
  BCP2:	800000021AA61963
  BCP3:	FFFFF880039E3AF0
  BCP4:	0000000000000002
  OS Version:	6_1_7600
  Service Pack:	0_0
  Product:	256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\052511-33399-01.dmp 
  C:\Users\Chirigami\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-77844-0.sysdata.xml

I attached both files to the reply. I also attached my specs which I got through DxDiag.

Other than those different details for the BSoD, the problem is exactly the same. The longer I play, the more probabilities of it crashing and giving me this BSoD.

Sorry if my English isn't good, it's not my main language.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• BSoD Files.zip
    46.9 KB · Views: 5
Hi chirigami. First, your English is actually quite good.

Second, in the future start your own thread because people will think you are answering the original poster not realizing you have come for help as well.

Third, do you have any more minidump files that you can attach? If so please zip only the most recent - up to five - in one zip file.

Also, do your system crashes only occur while gaming? If not, when else do they occur?

OK, I'm really sorry! Next time I'll start a new thread!

Fortunately I do have a lot of minidump files. I have exactly ten. As you said, I'll upload the last five, not counting the last one which I already sent you.

The first one I have (of those ten) dates from 04/28/2011. And that is the first time I ever had a BSoD since I bought this computer.

It seems to happen whenever I'm using Minecraft or Minecraft_Server, both of which are Java applications. I don't have any other Java applications that I use so much time. The first time it happened I had left the Minecraft Client open all night, then the next day I checked my computer and it had rebooted. Then Windows told me it had recovered from an unexpected shutdown. So that time it happened while idle. I don't think it's any particular action that triggers it.

I've been using Minecraft since the beginnings of March, and didn't have any problem.

Also it might be of note that I added some RAM (used to have (2 x 1) 2 GB, now I have (2 x 4) 8 GB) some time before the 28th, I'm not sure when.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    138 KB · Views: 2
Are you running Windows 7 64 or 32?

Also, all five error codes are different which can be a strong indicator that the issue may actually be with your memory. I became suspicious when you significantly increased from 2 to 8 gigs. I am not saying it is definitely the issue but for diagnostic purposes find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

It's Windows 7 x64.

I'm really sorry but I don't know how to check those two things. :(
Would you please tell me how to check them?

Edit: I found this information using AIDA64. When I clicked on SPD (I don't even know what it means, though) it shows my two RAM cards and it says DIMM2: Kingston 9905471-006.A01LF & DIMM4: Kingston 9905471-006.A01LF, both of their "Module Voltage" says "1.5 V".

Also I found that my BIOS is outdated, and my Motherboard manufacturer (ASUSTek) offers some new versions which, it says, solves some compatibility problems with some memory. However, when I downloaded it I got a ".ROM" file which I have no idea how to use.

Back