BSOD on mp4 playback

bobalazs

Hello

I've used this setup for about half year stable. Before that I had a different video card with which the system was stable as well.
I've been getting BSOD-s recently, and very often. I suspect it is the video card or something with the AMD powerplay, but I can not be sure. Nowadays the bsod starts happening when mp4 playback is started on windows media player. Yesterday I decided to reinstall the system, as to see if that would solve the problems, but the problem keeps coming back. Before that, I had bsod's on youtube/flash playback. (tried various flash versions, same crash)
I ran ramtest for about 3 hours without any errors.
Drivers are all up to date. The usual stress tests come up with nothing (orthos, furmark, OCCT). Temps are fine, bios memory timings are good, been stable for years.
I've tried about 6 of the amd catalyst drivers, and the bsod still happens. Sound, network, chipset drivers up to date.

The bsod can be repeated with starting the same mp4 file, other than this I had no bsod with anything else.

Amazing!
As I suspected, the problem was with the amd powerplay.
I followed these instructions, and now is working as intended.
For reasons I can't write link , however, google [Updated]AMD/ATi 2D Clock Guide

Attachments

• 022612-41948-01.dmp
    140 KB · Views: 1
  • 022612-41777-01.dmp
    140 KB · Views: 0
  • 022612-41433-01.dmp
    140 KB · Views: 0
  • 022612-50216-01.dmp
  • 022612-51870-01.dmp
"The bsod can be repeated with starting the same mp4 file"...

Since the BSOD only happens with this single MP4 file, I would say delete the file and forget about it...

The BSOD's all point to:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Ntoskrnl.exe

Check your hard drive for errors

Thanks, but as i said problem was with the amd powerplay. Adjusting the 2d/3d clocks solved the problem. The HDD was checked for inconsistencies between BSOD events.

"Watching youtube videos caused BSOD randomly"...

This made me think you were still getting BSOD's

Hopefully the problem is gone for good.
However, if the bsod pops up again, i'll be sure to return to this thread.
Thank you.

Back