BSOD on Vista startup, can't boot Safe Mode

I'm running Vista ULtimate on a Compaq Presario C700 (C770TU) and on startup I get a BSOD.

It makes it to the logon screen and about 5-10 seconds after I hit enter I get a STOP message with the following codes:

Code:
0x0000008E
0xC0000006
0x81C834F3
0xAA3BBA5C
0x00000000

On booting in safe mode I get flashed by the BSOD and it restarts. In Last Known Good Configuration I get a BSOD, it performs the physical memory dump and stays.

Don't have the installation disk.

Most likely bad memory or a bad hard drive... Or even a bad power supply. There's not much you can do except start replacing parts at this point. Do you have a friend that can help you with this?

I ran some sort of Memory test from my BIOS and it cleared my Hard Drive and RAM.

I recently did purchase a new Adapter for my laptop, it's a replacement for HP and I run it through a Trust surge protector.

I ran it only on battery right now, it almost made it to the dektop before the BSOD. Same STOP code.

I'm better than most if not all my friends at this stuff. I can go to a professional for $10 as I'm in India :)D) but just wanted to see if it was anything I could fix on my own.

Still trying to figure out the cause though, 0x8E has a pretty wide list of causes.

Try reloading Windows. If you have hardware problems, the install may fail and give us clues to the real problem. If you have important data on the hard drive, remove it and put it aside. Install a new drive and attempt to install Windows on it.

Back