BSOD Out of the "Blue" on Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acer Aspire One netbook, about 7 months old. No hardware or OS changes made.
XP Home SP3, 1 gig RAM, can't remember processor but it's not bad, 120 HD (I think) from the factory.

As of yesterday, it crashes on load up. Don't even get very far and then there's a Blue Screen of Death...message has the word "Boot" in it but that's all I can see as it goes by quickly. Does the same thing in Safe Mode. Gets as far as Windows loading screen when I try Last Known Good Config and then goes BSOD then too.

Any thoughts?

I can't remember doing anything special before this that would have set it off. As far as I can recall, it was a Restart...maybe after something hung up...no recent new apps...when this first happened. Now cold or hot boot doesn't work.

I'm thinking of using an XP disk to try and Repair the installation (I have an external burner). Or maybe go into Command Prompt. Is so, does anyone know the boot partition repair command? My memory is confusing Vista and XP commands for this. Could the boot manager be the problem? Has anyone else seen this? The machine is so new that I was totally taken aback.

(Of course, I didn't think to burn a recovery disk when I first got it)

Thanks in advance!

OK, so I was able to stop the autorestart and read the BSOD message:

The error the BSOD gives me is:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

STOP: 000000ED (0x86B6A2B0, 0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Check the Stop Error link on this site and found that:

Microsoft says it's a cable error:

If the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) of the Stop error is 0xC0000032, the cause of the error is that the file system is damaged. You can try to repair the volume to see whether this resolves the error. If the second parameter is not 0xC0000032, see "Method 2: Check the IDE cable and load Fail-Safe settings" for help.

And then says:

Method 2: Check the IDE cable and load Fail-Safe settings
If your computer uses a UDMA hard disk controller, try these steps. If your computer does not use a UDMA hard disk controller, see the "Next steps" section for help.

* If your UDMA hard disk is connected to the controller with a 40-wire UDMA cable, replace the cable with an 80-wire cable.
* In the BIOS settings for your computer, load the 'Fail-Safe' default settings, and then reactivate the most frequently used options, such as USB Support.

The "Next Steps," of course, don't say much else.

Before I go opening anything up, does anyone know if the Aspire One uses a UDMA controller? Any other thoughts about how to respond to this error?

Thx!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back