Budget Overclocking Guide: Ryzen 3 2200G

This setup is making a great case to replace my A8-5600K/GTX 750TI setup for my TV-PC, without much hassle and without a dedicated GPU. Sure, the RAM will be a limitation but it sure seems like a great deal.

If RAM prices were not so high, the G2200 would have been a dream come true for people who had extremely tight budget and wanted to avoid second hand hardware. Now that I am thinking it, probably even by choosing second hand hardware you wouldn't be able to get that performance for that price.

So far, we have not seen any issues with 8 gb ram, but FFXV might be an issue if they don't fix some of the Hairworks issues in the Beta.

With a 2400g at stock, it was consuming up to 7700 MB on 720p lite and 8800 MB on 720p standard.

Check out techEpiphany on youtube. Sorry, I don't know how to get urls on youtube mobile :(

Ah here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtZ78880j0o&t=19s

Something weird happens during the sexy ice girl scene at 720p lite. It looks like the fps tanks as the game demand approaches 7700 mb of Ram. Strangely, we do not see this at 720p standard, as if they used only 8 GB of Ram for the light settings, and 16 GB for the Standard settings.

You probably want to avoid FFXV in any case with an AMD APU.

Wolfenstein II is a different story. It runs great on the APU. I would love to see 8 GB of Ram vs 16 GB of Ram with that game...

Didn't kit-guru say that the ryzen master sware was consuming 20% ? Also are these apus going to get a 12nm refresh? and is there going to be a 2600 , I hope so as that would surely suit me.
Lots of fun to be had probing the best combo of CPU oclock vs GPU oclock .. would be good if you could have multiple settings you could load at boot. An other strange point the TDP on these is configurable down to 45w , which is barely above the stated TDP of the e parts 2200ge. I shall wait to see what Ry-zen 2 shows up and mem prices to plummet.

"that a well overclocked Ryzen 3 2200G platform makes a strong case for itself at $300, which includes a budget aftermarket air cooler, a decent B350 motherboard and 8GB of DDR4-3000 RAM.

By comparison, consider that the Core i3-8100 on a yet to be released B360 motherboard with 8GB of DDR4 memory and a GT 1030 will cost at least $370, so that twenty something percent savings"

If it's an unreleased mobo, its hardly an option, and its not anyway.

If you were to bother w/ the discrete route, no way would you get a clunker gpu like the 1030, just to ~APU performance.

If you insist on discrete, its a much bigger price jump than the example in reality.

Terrific work. You have shown the cash strapped a way into modern computing.

The next big question (after 2400g OC results which I imagine exist), is subjective (presumably) reviews of this rig on an affordable Freesync monitor.

I hear Freesync monitors do terrific things for smooth play on taxed gpuS.

Didn't kit-guru say that the ryzen master sware was consuming 20% ? Also are these apus going to get a 12nm refresh? and is there going to be a 2600 , I hope so as that would surely suit me.
Lots of fun to be had probing the best combo of CPU oclock vs GPU oclock .. would be good if you could have multiple settings you could load at boot. An other strange point the TDP on these is configurable down to 45w , which is barely above the stated TDP of the e parts 2200ge. I shall wait to see what Ry-zen 2 shows up and mem prices to plummet.

Raven ridge is ALREADY 12nm (14nm+) there is a reason why AMD did not release as quickly as they should have (a few months ago) they pushed the Zen APU for the 12nm refresh...as far as 2600 or whatever other parts that are due out late march early april, ONLY AMD knows this currently, the "true" Ryzen generation 2, not Ryzen+ on 12nm, will be out towards end of 2018 on 7nm, this has not changed for many many many months now, if it did, AMD would have released updated slides, they did not, the 12nm "refresh" was unexpected, IMO it will allow them to fine tune on 12nm incorporate design changes etc in preparation for whatever they plan on doing for Zen 2 on 7nm, x470 motherboard etc for 12nm, likely there will also be x570 motherboards for the 7nm generation.

As far as TDP being adjustable, one needs to keep in mind the "APU" shares the TDP/Wattage with the cpu as well as the graphics core, so if you try to reduce it too much, performance is likely to suffer significantly as a result (though temps actual power usage will drop a massive amount as well once you fine tune it) the "E" parts are already "tuned" at least roughly at a reduction in clock speed so they also have a similar reduction in TDP (I personally wish they would get rid of the TDP number 9/10 everyone is not referencing it properly including the people that make the products, TDP is the cooling required to keep it at operational temperature, not the power that will be used, so in some cases it uses a chunk LESS power and in many other cases will use MUCH higher.

I also wish that AMD gave the full pci-e bus link to thh 2200 and 2400 chips, limiting to a 8x link not so bad, unless you want to not use the built in graphics and you try to feed a higher end graphics card (when pricing is worth doing so) performance that should be there absolutely suffers because of it (I take a wild guess and would think somewhere in the ~20% range when trying to feed the graphics card on graphics heavy load for discrete gpu usage)

For the more budget/mainstream level dedicated cards likely there will also be a loss, but, most folks should not be trying to run a high spec 1080p/1440p on a budget graphics card anyways, so the "load" will shift more to the cpu side anyways, and Ryzen seems overall to do quite decently at pretty much any cpu loaded things, provided you feed it some decent speed DDR4 with lower latency, say 2800-3200 CL14-16...they really do thrive on fast memory, much more so than Gen 1 Ryzen (Raven Ridge is Gen 1.5..Gen 2 is Ryzen 2 7nm)

Here is hoping that pricing on memory and graphics cards settle down by then, otherwise what should be a very solid price becomes very expensive for nothing.

2400g at a bit over $200 CAD is one thing, but a graphics card that should be costing at most $290 CAD routinely selling for $400+ (when you can find them) or Ram that should be costing $150 for 16gb 3200 class is at least $100 more, so much for DDR4 being far less costly to produce, is like DDR2 and DDR3 launch pricing all over again :mad:

Raven ridge is ALREADY 12nm (14nm+) there is a reason why AMD did not release as quickly as they should have (a few months ago) they pushed the Zen APU for the 12nm refresh...

Raven Ridge is not the Zen+ yet. That comes out in April, I believe. Raven Ridge is still 14nm. It is in the AMD slides. The upcoming cpus will be 12 nm. Nothing really new, but people expect higher overclocks and lower power consumption.

Good to see the author has provoked some discussion. I imagine thats rewarding. :)

Kudos to the cooler btw.

"Whereas the Wraith Stealth was pushing into the high 80s with just the GPU overclocked, the Gammaxx 200T setup never saw temps rise above 55 degrees, which remarkable. ..... Not only that but the fan wasn't spinning particularly fast and I'd describe it as almost silent.

Sounds a bargain for $20. Begs the question why amd cant do better? Still, many old hands think nothing of spending as much on cooling as they do on processors.

I was keen on liquid cool for apuS given the APU bonus of cooling both processors with a single simple unit. This far simpler and cheaper solution has changed my mind. Allways Under 55C seems hard to beat.

I remain confused about what happens to auto overclocking when one overclocks?

My 2c on zen/vega apuS is:

What a gift!!!

How much processor+gpu would $99 or $179 bought you pre ryzen (~april 2017)?

what POS graphic card would either amount buy you ATM?

amd's apuS are a godsend to many millions, so dont then moan and begrudge a few dollars extra to avoid false economies.

This cooler sounds worth it, and so is ~fast ram (tho 8GB is ok I hear), and so is at least 1 small full speed nvme ssd (256GB Evo $120usd), and what the hey, a freesync 75mhz? monitor for smooth gaming ~$250usd.

You will feel the quality long after you have forgotten the options cost.

As I see it, we are still not quite there yet but I think the next iteration AMD APUs may raise many eyebrows, perhaps won't be competing just at the entry level and more. I don't like the state of AMD's GPU division and believe Vega is the limiting factor in this APU design

Hi it is very intresting build indeed. Can someone please advice a sufficient PSU for this build overclocked? The less the better.

The hard part will be finding one small enough :). I recall one youtube build w/ a 300w.

Anecdotally I hear they (Bronze+ rated good ones) run most efficiently at ~half their rated load.

We have experienced a kid, who tried to overclock his VEGA graphics on his Ryzen 5G and managed to burn out the Gfx part of the CPU twice. All for Fornite. I didnt think it was possible until I tested the part on benchmarks and seen it "green out" just like a regular GPU failure. Just be careful when attempting this.

I did like the 2400g but got a good deal on an i5-8600k , coupled with an older gtx960, all running on a bequiet 350w .
117w on CPU alone running prime95/Furmark, 95w running Prime95 (MCE on). Might look at the successor to these or even a s/h
APU . but then maybe a s/h 1060/1070 now that crypto-madness has ended..

I saw this and I thought why not to overclock??? And I overclocked my cpu and a day after my pc could not turn up. There is no question that the problem is the cpu because the motherboard light “indicates CPU is not detected or fail” turned on. After a plenty of restarts still nothing, I removed the battery still nothing, I removed the cpu and put it back in and after that my pc opened, I turned it of and then it couldn’t open again, I removed the cpu again but that time nothing happened. Can someone please help me fix this?????

I saw this and I thought why not to overclock??? And I overclocked my cpu and a day after my pc could not turn up. There is no question that the problem is the cpu because the motherboard light “indicates CPU is not detected or fail” turned on. After a plenty of restarts still nothing, I removed the battery still nothing, I removed the cpu and put it back in and after that my pc opened, I turned it of and then it couldn’t open again, I removed the cpu again but that time nothing happened. Can someone please help me fix this?????

This still most likely a motherboard failure as it may be the circuitry from the socket. I had an MSI board come DOA and my ASUS tuf board developef a similar fault. My 2400g is still working fine in as Asrock board.

Back