Bug makes Anthem's starter rifle the most powerful weapon in the game

DPennington

WTF?! Due to a recent bug confirmed by BioWare, the level 1 Defender Rifle - the gun you begin with - is currently the most powerful weapon in the game. The bug, discovered by a Reddit user, is being fixed by BioWare in an upcoming patch.

For the few of you still playing Anthem, I have some good news for you. Thanks to a new bug, the starter rifle is now the most powerful weapon in the game.

Anthem, like similar games Destiny 2 and Warframe, rewards you for grinding and repeating the same missions over and over again to collect more powerful loot. Or at least that was the intention. The bug, first discovered in a Reddit post by YeetLordSupreme, is two-fold. Not only is the starter rifle more powerful than even the highest level weapons in the game, but apparently damage numbers on enemies mean nothing.

YeetLordSupreme said in their post that their level 1 Defender Rifle - the one you begin the game with - was killing enemies faster than the level 45 Ralner's Blaze rifle. It took only four bullets from the Defender Rifle to kill an enemy, while taking six bullets from the Ralner's Blaze. This is despite the level 45 rifle registering 1,184 hit points per shot versus only 286 from the Defender, suggesting that the actual damage being registered isn't accurate.

BioWare has confirmed the existence of this bug, with Anthem Reddit community manager Andrew Johnson responding to the thread. Johnson stated that he has "confirmed with the team that this is in fact a bug related specifically to the default items on a loadout in combination with higher level gear you have equipped. It's not functioning as intended and the team is working on an upcoming fix."

It's been a tough week for Anthem, with Sony reportedly offering refunds to customers due to the game bricking Playstations. This all comes on the heels of lackluster reviews of the game and myriad server issues at launch.

Permalink to story.

The shambles that is this game continues. A shame as it has brief moments of fun, amongst a sea of boring brokenness.

One should not be surprised, its typical for those rpg loot shooters that the whole progress and loot gamemechanics are a massive scam. Especially leveling up only serves to make your gear less effective.

I played Division with a mate together who had a far higher level character. "Thanks" to playing with him within an hour I leveled up 10+ levels. The result was that I became weaker than ever since my gear was stuck at the 10 levels lower when I found it but the enemies leveled up together with me.

This here is the same kind of BS. The numbers all lie and suddenly a level 1 weapon does more damage without actually doing more damage than some level 45 weapon.

This is all just to make you desperate so you throw real money at the game in the hope to get "better" stuff.

Poor BioWare. Poor studio under the curse of EA. 5 are buried, Is BioWare next?

I fear for BioWare a lot. I want cool DLCs for Andromeda but that is not in sight at all.
I wish they could move back to a business model where gamers would develop games for gamers instead of having corporate soldier producers pushing untested games to the market while the board of EA is licking the bottoms of the shareholders....
Shame....

As much as I hate to defend this game, the only stuff you can buy is cosmetic.

Yeah the backlash from Battlefront 2 among reasons was so hard that they went for only cosmetic microtransactions. It is a service game however and there are plenty of dlc coming. The first Act for Anthem is the ‘Echoes of Reality,’ and kicks off in the month following launch.

Yeah true, although isn't that all going to be released for free too?

Either way I'm glad I only dropped £15 for one month of their service to try it out. Back to D2 now as it's just a much better / more complete game that actually works and has content.

I fear for BioWare a lot. I want cool DLCs for Andromeda but that is not in sight at all.
I wish they could move back to a business model where gamers would develop games for gamers instead of having corporate soldier producers pushing untested games to the market while the board of EA is licking the bottoms of the shareholders....
Shame....

YES - "gamers developing games for gamers" is exactly what's disappeared from BioWare. It's a damn shame what happened to Mass Effect. I think a lot of people were hoping that since Andromeda was developed by their "B" studio, it wasn't a sign of things to come. But EA destroyed Anthem, which was a game that had so much potential. BioWare used to be the pinnacle of story-driven games. Anthem is a cash-cow-loot-shooter-grindfest that is so typical of an EA game. It feels like an EA game.

Anthem was easily the biggest disappointment of the last couple of years for me, even worse than Fallout 76. I was hoping for an online shooter with a deep story and character development - think Borderlands 2, for example - but instead we got Destiny 3.

I was hoping for an online shooter with a deep story and character development - think Borderlands 2, for example - but instead we got Destiny 3.

I think thats pretty harsh on Bungie. Destiny 2 was waaaaay better than this at launch (and in its current state is in a great place).

Back