Build Your Own Mechanical Keyboard Project: What you need to get started

Very interesting topic to discuss and the article did a great job of explaining all the details on a high level.

Just as constructive criticism, I would have at least made a passing mention about:
- o-ring sound dampeners
- effects of lubrication on the switches and caps (with a link to a more detailed guide)
- mention one more thing about the keycaps: not all switches use the MX-format connector

Also, for people looking at a custom mechanical kb without the fuss of putting it all together, I would recommend they take a look at WASD keyboards as they allow you to customize your keyboard to an impressive degree which they build for you and ship to your doorstep.

Yeah, if you are going to waste your life away, then why not?

The article would make sense on a DIY website, but not here.

Makes sense to me, its encouraging this. Actually I might do this.

Posting on some forum/website is also "life wasting" ;)

Good article and in these days of "buy it ready to go" it reminds us all of some of the effort that goes into making our toys. If my Redragon wasen't so great I'd probably give this a shot ......

Yeah, if you are going to waste your life away, then why not?

The article would make sense on a DIY website, but not here.

So an hobby is a waste of life? Based on that logic, building anything on your own is a waste of life. Including a PC which is what this site is about. Building something yourself, especially something this unique, is challenging and very rewarding. You should try it, it builds character. Or is that wasting your life too? :D

This is kinda cool but at the same time, it's a ton of work and ultimately I bet you'd pay waaaaay more than just buying a keyboard that comes off an assembly line... Just find a keyboard you like a buy it. sheesh.

This is kinda cool but at the same time, it's a ton of work and ultimately I bet you'd pay waaaaay more than just buying a keyboard that comes off an assembly line... Just find a keyboard you like a buy it. sheesh.
You do pay more for higher quality parts and customization but if you go with a plastic case and a basic PCB like the GH60, you can put together a build that will cost you about the same as a good mainstream board or even less. If you want something unique and you enjoy DIY projects, it's definitely worth doing.

Go to the basement, dig up your well deservedly forgotten superloud superannoying keyboard from the early 90s, done. If you born in 90 or later, yeah, get on the hype train, in the past everything was better.

Or...you can buy a GMMK (https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-customized) that either has the numpad or doesn't have it (Tenkeyless). That'll cost you around $60, plus it will give you the ability to hot-swap switches or mix and match them...without soldering. Plus, you can customize quite a bit on the board and it's way cheaper. Throw in extra for whatever switches and keycaps you want.

You have two size options, no layout customization, no case options, two keycap choices and no Cherry switch options. This isn't much better than the options you get with any mainstream board. Hot swappable is questionable since it's not likely you will change switches very often and if you do you can wear out the sockets.

Checked all the links and keyboards. BORING! 99.9% rectangle. What about triangle, round, square shaped keyboards. Maybe a 3D board ( like 3D chess ). nothing here was even the tiniest bit custom or interesting.

What case is in the first picture with the white key caps?? I’m in love with the design but can’t find it. I love the side glow and looks very well constructed!

Back