Building a New computer Seeking Information

I have a second drive with games and files on it and wanted to know if I add it to a fresh windows install that my file won't be wiped.

In my current system I had a 130 gig SSD that was used for my Windows install and a number of other items. My secondary drive was a hard drive that had my games + game files and a few other items. My SSD was getting filled up so I transferred my SSD information to a 500 gig SSD via a USB 3.0 Adapter to SATA. I never touched the hard drive. With the new SSD everything booted up fine and my hard drive information was all there; I can access my games without issue.

Long story short: You should be fine. If there are any issues check your BIOS to see if the hard drive is recognized.

To be safe I strongly suggest you back up your information to an external hard drive such as a Western Digital Passport or a Seagate Backup Plus Slim. I have both and they do the job. Staples had a very nice sale on the Seagate.

I hope this helps.

Thank you man wish me luck
AFAIK, if there are no executable or system files on the secondary drive, you can simply unplug it. Simple as that.

FWIW, even on an unbootable system, you can plug in a USB "Live" distro of Linux then retrieve and move your files that way.

Last edited:
Back