Building a PC

Well, I certainly could use some help on building a PC. I certainly do not have the funds necessary, but when I do, I would like to spend no more than 2k - quite a bit less if possible. But I want something that can handle gaming at the highest quality (games like Sid Meier's Civ 5), handle my digital audio workstation projects (I use Reaper and I multi-track and fx like crazy), I want very low latency of course, because I record with simulated guitar amps and effects. So this means a speedy CPU (maybe at least 3.0 GHz Quad), great graphics card, and lots of memory (because I edit videos a lot too). Is all this possible under 2,000 USD?

I am a bit of a noob at this; however, I have been exposed to some computer knowledge and have been around the geeks. I have soaked up some information here and there. I got a two-year degree in Microcomputers, but it was the not the hardware side. So don't expect me to know all about the graphics cards and stuff. I just need a little shove in the right, general direction. I want to make sure I get what I need and it's all compatible (obviously). I plan to do this when I have a full time job and moved out where I have my own space. It doesn't hurt to plan ahead. ;)

-Brandon

You should get a pretty beasty computer for $2000.

i5 3570K
ASUS Z77 motherboard
8GB RAM
Radeon 7970 or GeForce GTX 670
Dedicated sound card maybe?
And an SSD. Because they're awesome.

It's not much use now putting together a PC if you don't have the funds, computer hardware changes all the time so it's best to save up and ask again later.

But a $2k build will easily handle what you've described, Civ 5 is not a very demanding game and a 3770K will probably be enough on the CPU side.

Okay thanks for the answers so far. I will be checking my options. I was thinking of building the PC one piece at a time instead. I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop with 2.1 GHz Dual, and 4 GB of RAM. Civ 5 is very demanding on my little laptop even at the lowest graphic settings. Glad to hear what I described could very easily work. Everything I am doing now is doable - it's just a pain in the rear.

One problem with buying PC components one piece at a time (if I understand you correctly) is the possibility of defective components. That is, by the time you assemble the PC and maybe discover a problem the return period from the retailer or etailer could be over. You would then have to deal directly with the manufacturer and hopefully the factory warranty period isn't over either. Dealing with the manufacturer isn't the end of the world but it is so much easier to return a defective item right away to the store or online store for exchange, IMHO. Just something to keep in mind.

And also components generally depreciate in price over time so you're better off saving up and building it all together. e.g. a motherboard and RAM sitting in a case won't be of any use.

Back