Built computer, don't know how to install Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norak

Alright, I built my computer, I turn it on and it comes up with a screen saying stuff about my computer eg primary slave, proccessor temperature ect.

From here, how do I install Windows XP? It doesn't work when I just put the install disk in, so I have know idea how.

Go into the bios of your motherboard and set boot priority on the settings to cd rom as the first one. Rite now it mite be floppy or hard drive. Once you do that then the install should work, once installed go to the bios and change the boot drive priority back to hard drive for faster start ups.

Hope this helped!!

I tried that, and it comes up with a blank screen with a little white flashing line on it. Any suggestions?

HMmm are you sure your cd drive or dvd drive is connected properly as well as recieving power and is being recognized by your motherboard?

I don't know, but it doesn't do that thing anymore, it just comes up with one sentence that is driving me MAD!

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

What should I do?

When you first started the PC, you should have entered the BIOS (by hitting the Delete key) and set up the current date and time and set your boot order with your CD drive being first. You can change that later. If you've done that already, insert the Windows XP CD into the drive and restart the PC. Windows setup should boot up and take you through the format, partition and XP installation process.

If you want, you can tweak your BIOS after Windows is installed. Right now, you just want to get everything set up without getting fancy.

#1) is your hard disk drive a SATA or ATA/IDE drive?

#2a) if you only have one optical drive and 1 HHD, they should be on separate IDE channels and both set to master or single, or.,.

#2b) if you have them both on one channel, you should have your CDROM jumper set to MASTER and your HHD set to SLAVE, or...

#2c) if you are using a Cable Select Cable, the jumpers both need to be set to CS

**your problem is hardware related, generally in the way that you set up your system, you will not be able to install any OS until you get your system connected correctly**

if you know everything is connected properly, and you are still getting the disk boot failure message and XP CD will not boot, then boot from a windows 98 startup floppy disk (u can download the files easily if you do not have one), use FDISK to delete all partitions, then create 1 primary dos partition, exit FDISK, type format C:, when it finishes, reboot from the WinXP CD and it should load properly

this web site may be of use to you

hope this helps....

I fixed it. My DVD-Burner didn't come with a IDE cable...
Yeah, pretty stupid problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back