C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
So once again I have this problem. I have read all the guides I could to fix the error, but recovery console wont work cause a blue screen apears half way through saying Registry_Error. Every time this problem has happened I have had to format the computer and start from scratch.

It has happened about 4 times now I guess, the first time was 2 or so years ago, then a year ago it struck again, this fall it hit us and now it has come again. It seems that the only answer is to format.

But the reason for posting here is if it is time to get a new computer. This problem seems to be happening more then it should, and I wonder if it is a sign to start looking for a new one. The computer is about 3 years old now, which seems sort of young to be failing already.

Also, I have heard a lot of bad stuff about vista if the solution is to buy a new computer. I am wondering if the Vista is problematic and should look into buying XP.

Thanks

If you have another partition, you can install another OS on the free partition and try to get your data by booting from the second OS. At least this gives you the chance to get some/all of your data. In addition, you can try to copy the system folder of the new OS into the failed one if they are the same version (XP sp1 both or so). This might not work always but just try it.

Also for the future, keep back up of the file/folder reported to be corrupted on removable storage so that you can try copying it back if any such errors appear again. Make sure that you have two partitions when you reinstall. Second partition will guarantee you can get your data back.

Back again with the same problem =(

We have given up, we are going to buy a new computer. We are due for a new one as this one is getting kinda old. Anyway we would like to be able to format the computer to be able to work, as we would like to be able to sell it/give it away.

Let me start off by saying it is a Dell Dimension 9150. Before the problem started, the computer was moving slower and slower and slower, and just two days ago I think I had about 5 manual restarts by holding down the power button because the computer froze one way or another. Then, this morning, we get the /windows/system32/config/system is missing or corrupt. This problem has happened 3+ times before, and every time the computer got slower and slower until this.

I have the xp installation CD, and I am able to load it to the point where it says "Press r for recovery console and enter to install windows" or something like that. Whether I press r or enter, a blue screen pops up with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL at the top, some info about removing hardware, and a long string of numbers letters at the bottom-
***STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0A830011,0X00000002, 0x00000000, 0x80414EFC)

This is what is stopping me. I cannot get past this blue screen. Is there a way to reformat the computer?

See those solutions will not work because I cannot load windows, I just get the missing file error once I get past the initial loading screen.

I have a dell dimension 9150 and I dont know how to get into bios. Is setup/f2 the same thing as bios?

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL :: this is a result of a hardware failure, usually memory but sometimes HD.

MEMTEST will help you test the existing RAM; btw, did you recently update ram? if so, remove the new chip and try again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back