Cable internet conection issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
My internet has been dropping out on me. It seems to only do this when I use a lot of bandwidth. It will drop when playing an online game, or during an internet download. Any help will be much appriciated.

It accually dropped out again when I posted this message, now I have to wait for my modem to reconnect so I can post this.

"Drop" means what? What kind of a cable modem is it? Do you have any routers? Firewalls?

And "crash" means that the cable modem reboots itself? Or does your computer disconnect itself from the network?

Does your modem have the latest firmware? When the connection "drops", can you still access the modem's configuration page? What does it say? What if you enable the Windows firewall and disable McAfee? Do you use any p2p software?

squirrel25 said:
My internet has been dropping out on me. It seems to only do this when I use a lot of bandwidth. It will drop when playing an online game, or during an internet download. Any help will be much appriciated.

It accually dropped out again when I posted this message, now I have to wait for my modem to reconnect so I can post this.

try scanning with adaware and spybot helps me all the time also A square they are all free tools

Drop/Crash as in I lose my connection.

I've tryed switching around my firewalls. I scan my PC once a month, and just did recently, no problems. I don't use any p2p software, and There is no way to configure my modem from my PC. I have no idea what you mean by firmware.

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

I'm on cox as well.
What make and model modem do you have?
Mine is motorola surfboard SB5100. They also use a variety of other ones
like, webstar and brand name ones too, linksys, dlink etc.
Some do have firmware upgrades to solve trouble. Firmware is software on the device ie: cable modem, that lives on a flashable e-prom chip or the likes, meaning it can be updated. My linksys wireless router need a firmware upgrade as well as driver upgrade. The driver upgrade will be in windows.
The more info you can give us will help us to futher help you.

G'Luck

try this address
http://192.168.100.1/
if not that one try the 192.168.1.1 network default
see if you can be talked through setup with cox tech
you may be able to get in by the mac address I don't know for sure
this is on bottom of modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back