CableMod announces voluntary recall of 16-pin RTX 4090 power adapters

Shawn Knight

Staff member
A hot potato: Custom cable provider CableMod has announced a voluntary recall of its 12VHPWR angled adapters due to what it describes as the potential risk of the male connector coming loose, overheating, and melting into the GPU.

The recall applies to CableMod 12VHPWR 90-degree and 180-degree angled adapters (V1.0 and V1.1). Notably, this does not include the company's angled cables.

CableMod recommends anyone using their angled adapters to stop using them immediately. What's more, the company advises against touching an adapter while your system is running and suggests giving the machine time to cool down before handling.

The cable maker said it will be sending out an official notice – and full details on – the safety recall in the coming days. Those that have been affected by a failed V1.0 or V1.1 angled adapter can reach out to CableMod for help.

CableMod has been known to use repair shop NorthridgeFix to mend broken RTX 4090s. The firm receives roughly 100 RTX 4090s per month that have been damaged due to the 12VHPWR connector.

Nvidia launched its GeForce RTX 4090 in October 2022 at an MSRP of $1,599 and it didn't take long for issues to surface. Multiple groups including the Peripheral Component Interconnect Special Interest Group (PCI-SIG) and CableMod warned that the new 12VHPWR connector could get dangerously hot in certain situations but Nvidia was confident it had ironed out all the kinks before launch.

Related reading: New 12v specification could mean the end of melting RTX 4090 power connectors

Unfortunately, it is very much a real issue and one that appears to be much more common than initially reported. A few months after launch, Nvidia claimed the issue was the result of customers not fully plugging in the power connector.

CaseMod previously sold its 90-degree and 180-degree angled 12VHPWR adapters for $39.90 apiece.

Nvidia's RTX 4090 currently commands around $2,000 on average although if you're in the market for a high-end GPU, it'd probably be best to see what Nvidia's Super series looks like when it is announced at CES next month.

Permalink to story.

There goes their reputation. You have one job to do. Did they even try to come up with a solution instead of taking advantage of the situation initially? Also where are those yet to be proven atx 3.1 PSUs or updated cables?
If the super cards come with 16 pin ( 12v )connection how will Nvidia quell potential buyers from concern of burn in?

The 12 pin connector, a solution in search of a problem that ended up causing more problems. I'm not even against the idea of a new connector, then6pin and later the 8pin PCIe connector was vastly superior to the 4pin molex connector. Luckily, the 4 pin molex connector wasn't used for very long once GPUs became power hungry. First and last GPU I had that used it was my AGP 6800GT

Good on Cablemod for stepping up.

Unfortunate they had already shipped so many before the 12v2x6 revision fixed the teething problems.

But I thought the 12/16 pin connector was perfect and it was all entirely the fault of the user that things were melting? Where are the corporate white knights now?
Same with the torpedoes that BuOrd insisted were fine and the fault of the Captains and crew. Long history of non responsibility that was before and will continue to be. I approve this post

Nvidia should've made this GPU plug straight into wall.

Not sure if you are serious -but actually is a good idea for the titan beasts - people won't like a power block external - but that is some extra heat taken away - and stops the need for bigger and more silly PSUs - and will mean other rails or whatever they are called will be more stable on shoddy PSUs

I had a sleeved extension from Asiahorse to almost burn my PC once.
It was one of those 4 pin CPU cable extension. One time I noticed a bit of that smell, the smell of hot plastic.
O inspected all the parts looking for the troublemaker and when I touched that extension where it connects to PSU cable, it was extremely hot. It was so hot that I could barely touch it. The cable from CPU connector to PSU cable was also very hot. Luckily, it was degrading slowly, I just threw away that extension cable.
So, we live in time where all of these PC cables and connectors come with ability to destroy your expensive PC parts.
Gotta test everything.

Not sure if you are serious -but actually is a good idea for the titan beasts - people won't like a power block external - but that is some extra heat taken away - and stops the need for bigger and more silly PSUs - and will mean other rails or whatever they are called will be more stable on shoddy PSUs
It's utterly pointless to do. PSUs can handle the load fine and dont have heat issues these days. Running an external brick to prop up a shoddy PSU is like running a hose from your kitchen sink to your toilet to fill it up faster because your water main is leaking. Just silly.

I wasn't serious. Better yet, people with RTX 4090 should plug themselves right into the wall.

It's utterly pointless to do. PSUs can handle the load fine and dont have heat issues these days. Running an external brick to prop up a shoddy PSU is like running a hose from your kitchen sink to your toilet to fill it up faster because your water main is leaking. Just silly.

I get that - I always buy well reviewed PSU with the features I need

But lets say the RTX 5090 needs 750w at full steam ( ignoring higher peaks )

Well if you are mostly banging away , coding , spreadsheets not needing the GPU to more than idle -or I think some CPUs with integrated GPUs can be used to do the browser ( could be wrong ) then that beast not needed or hardly needed

From my limited understanding of PSU that gold or platinum rating is mainly in an optimum power range - ie a platinum won't be that on a 1200w PSU if only pulling 100-200w

Probably in reality just means less efficient and only a bit more electricity for that draw.
Still one or two less thick sheathed cables to force into shape to attach with little flex tension on cable as possible

also if such a GPU existed - if a motherboard with right slots and bandwidth could throw in 2 - and have it running modelling , AI or what .

Plus choice is good - If I had the option for an RTX 5090 - I might take it - a safer option than more cables and connectors and the small chance a MB mishap could cause a problem.

Anyway though unusual I think I have seem dual PSU setups online for lots of things needing power - eg 20 hard drives

Think some Crapple iMacs can attach external GPU through their proprietary cables - so just need a protective cooling case to have external

Plus the biggy - you don't need to buy a new PSU

Last edited:
The 12VHPWR connector is a bad design, the sense pins connect too soon, and it needs a more definite latching mechanism.

Back