Call of Duty is deploying player "clones" to identify and frustrate cheaters

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: The team responsible for Activision's Ricochet anti-cheat system continues to advance its strategies against cheaters, and the latest measure being deployed in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II is rather amusing.

Hallucinations are decoy characters inserted into the game that are only visible to suspected or confirmed cheaters. The decoys are not AI-based, but rather clones of real players, making them appear more lifelike. Hallucinations can't affect a legitimate player's aim, progress, or gameplay experience but can cause significant issues for cheaters.

Decoys emit the same type of legitimate data that a real character would. For example, an aimbot will lock onto them just as it would a genuine player. As a result, hallucinations can force hackers to self-identify as a cheater (if they are the only one who can see the decoy and they interact with it, they must be a cheater) and also slow them down.

A whitepaper titled, "Reversing Anti-Cheat's Detection-Generation Cycle With Configurable Hallucinations," has been published should you want to dig deeper on the subject.

Elsewhere, the Ricochet team has shelved another mitigation called quicksand that would slow or freeze the movement of cheaters. The deterrent adjusted cheaters' connection delay to the game server, effectively making them sitting ducks for other players to pick off. As an added bonus, the mitigation would occasionally alter a player's input settings to further disorient them.

As fun as it was, the team ultimately decided to decommission quicksand as it impacted the experience of legitimate gamers. They did, however, leave open the possibility of revisiting the concept in the future.

Activision also provided an update on a newly deployed detection method for what it calls malicious use of third-party hardware devices that provide an unfair advantage. Within the first two weeks, the team noted a 59 percent drop in the use of offending devices in Modern Warfare II and Warzone.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II can currently be had for 45 percent off as part of the Steam Summer Sale, bringing the cost down to $38.49 through July 13.

Permalink to story.

Hmmm, assuming they can make them appear 100% a person to the client (through the raw data a cheat client would have access to), this could be interesting.
Though, I have a feeling there will be a technique used to tell them apart not too long after launching it...

Hmmm, assuming they can make them appear 100% a person to the client (through the raw data a cheat client would have access to), this could be interesting.
Though, I have a feeling there will be a technique used to tell them apart not too long after launching it...
Its only visable to the cheater. No one else can see this.

Don't forget only the cheater can see these cheat mitigation. No one else can.
Downside to that is we will never know if they are actually working or not. We will only have the word of Activision, if they ever say anything. Most of the time they dont say.

If they know who is cheating why not just ban the **** out of them. thats also kinda profitable for them because the cheater will have to buy a new account

Although it might be fun to do this, I don't see a practical application. It really doesn't detect cheaters. If a hallucination looks real to a suspected cheater, they'll shoot at it, auto-aim or not.

Although it might be fun to do this, I don't see a practical application. It really doesn't detect cheaters. If a hallucination looks real to a suspected cheater, they'll shoot at it, auto-aim or not.
It depends on how it's done, if the hallucinations appear behind walls, thin objects or far away from the actual player, and said cheat immediately starts shooting it through walls and what not, you pretty much confirmed they're cheating. Real players wouldn't see through walls or immediately ping 90-180 degrees etc...

If they know who is cheating why not just ban the **** out of them. thats also kinda profitable for them because the cheater will have to buy a new account
It might be better to keep the cheater in to study the hacks (while also making it harder for them to cheat), and then do a wave of bans a little later, after they're done doing so.

Because banning a cheater is not as fun as making them fodder for real players. You have to understand the mentality of a cheater.. and their fragility.

And making a cheater rage-quit bcz Others legit players are farming them for points, makes their head explode. Which is way better than them getting a new account, is them rage-quitting bcz they are being laughed at...!

Why is it illegal to hack someones electric car but hacking someones digital product that took hundreds of millions to develop and has hundreds of real jobs tied to it cannot be punished by law?
A hacked car can literally run people over and kill. A hacked video game is just frustrating.

I'd also argue a car is easier to lock down than a video game and really shouldn't be on the internet.

Multiplayer video games on the other hand are obviously connected to the internet.

Why is it illegal to hack someones electric car but hacking someones digital product that took hundreds of millions to develop and has hundreds of real jobs tied to it cannot be punished by law?
Cause cheating isn't a crime. If you can prove fraud has happened then you may have a case.

I am legitimately wondering if this happened to me and my buddy in DMZ last night. We have always did really well in the game, but it seemed like we absolutely couldn't kill anyone last night after 2-3 hours of playing, it was incredibly unusual, we also noticed very bizarre NPC behavior (never missing, throwing multiple grenades one after another, etc).

I know it sounds like sour grapes, but I assure you something was way off. I guess we will try playing tonight and see if it was a fluke thing, but the hundreds of hours in the game, it was just way too suspicious. I would spectate my teammate and he would see real players in different spots from me, and they were wide open. Even the shooting seemed off in general.

I am a legit player, but I could have seen me coming under suspicion.

Update: Played the following night and night and day difference. No "fake" real players around, shooting seemed like it actually had an impact. Killed 9 players in DMZ. I think it is super BS that they are doing this to people that are playing in a legitimate matter just based on sour grapes that like reporting. It's really going to stop me from buying skins or anything monetary in a game that punishes "good players".

Last edited:
I am legitimately wondering if this happened to me and my buddy in DMZ last night. We have always did really well in the game, but it seemed like we absolutely couldn't kill anyone last night after 2-3 hours of playing, it was incredibly unusual, we also noticed very bizarre NPC behavior (never missing, throwing multiple grenades one after another, etc).

I know it sounds like sour grapes, but I assure you something was way off. I guess we will try playing tonight and see if it was a fluke thing, but the hundreds of hours in the game, it was just way too suspicious. I would spectate my teammate and he would see real players in different spots from me, and they were wide open. Even the shooting seemed off in general.

I am a legit player, but I could have seen me coming under suspicion.

Update: Played the following night and night and day difference. No "fake" real players around, shooting seemed like it actually had an impact. Killed 9 players in DMZ. I think it is super BS that they are doing this to people that are playing in a legitimate matter just based on sour grapes that like reporting. It's really going to stop me from buying skins or anything monetary in a game that punishes "good players".

The only way for you to see "cloned" played is by cheating. It injects a ghost into the code, the game engine itself doesn't use.

Either u just outed yourself, or seeing things.

The only way for you to see "cloned" played is by cheating. It injects a ghost into the code, the game engine itself doesn't use.

Either u just outed yourself, or seeing things.
Nope, not outing myself and I am not seeing things. As I type this I am dead, my buddy was seeing cloned operators in front of him. So you have no idea what you are talking about.
I have never cheated in a game in my 30+ years of playing online games.

I can guarantee they are punishing people for "doing too well" or rather from players reporting you over a course of the evening.

Nope, not outing myself and I am not seeing things. As I type this I am dead, my buddy was seeing cloned operators in front of him. So you have no idea what you are talking about.

I can guarantee they are punishing people for "doing too well" or rather from players reporting you over a course of the evening.
How do you know that your buddy wasn't cheating? As far as I know only a cheater can see clones, no one else. I have never heard of a innocent player seeing clones. Not saying it can't happen just I've never heard of it. I play, watch and follow cod regularly.

Sorry, you are just wrong.
Your friend is cheating, if he is seeing "cloned" player. (Exactly what this anti-cheat is meant to do).

They are not punishing legit players, because a legit player would NEVER see that "invisible cloned player"... unless they were using hacks. Don't you get how this works...?

You can not be sent a false-flag... unless u are packet snooping.

Sorry, you are just wrong.
Your friend is cheating, if he is seeing "cloned" player. (Exactly what this anti-cheat is meant to do).

They are not punishing legit players, because a legit player would NEVER see that "invisible cloned player"... unless they were using hacks. Don't you get how this works...?

You can not be sent a false-flag... unless u are packet snooping.

Well, it is happening and no, my buddy is not cheating. Sorry, but you are wrong. I know what I saw and I know what he saw.

Back