Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer Benchmark

Great to see for 1080p gamers the 580 is still going strong, even at Ultra! Add in FSR and you've got insane value still. Especially with the used market, one can easily find one around 100 AUD.

> FineWine™<

Thank you for all of the benchmarks at both ultra and basic. Incredibly thorough as always! If possible, it would be nice to see some side by side screenshot comparisons of Ultra vs Basic visuals.

Another Modern Warfare II ? I'm kinda lost, so this is a remake or remaster or what ? Anw, thanks for a detailed review. My last COD game was WWII and I don't think I'm gonna buy any COD game soon.

Another Modern Warfare II ? I'm kinda lost, so this is a remake or remaster or what ? Anw, thanks for a detailed review. My last COD game was WWII and I don't think I'm gonna buy any COD game soon.
Modern Warfare 2 released 2009. This is Modern Warfare II. Simple, eh?

Great to see for 1080p gamers the 580 is still going strong, even at Ultra! Add in FSR and you've got insane value still. Especially with the used market, one can easily find one around 100 AUD.

> FineWine™<
I dont really consider console level FPS 1% to be "going strong". That's a stuttery mess.

Great to see for 1080p gamers the 580 is still going strong, even at Ultra! Add in FSR and you've got insane value still.

Yeah, I was surprised that RX 580 was faster than GTX 1070. How did this change suddenly happen? Because I remember earlier benchmarks and it looked like RX 580 was much worse than GTX 1070. For example:

https://www.techspot.com/article/2382-halo-infinite-benchmark/

https://www.techspot.com/review/1795-metro-exodus-benchmarks/

https://www.techspot.com/article/2339-far-cry-6-benchmarks/

In all of the above benchmarks 580 was a lot slower than 1070. And now suddenly.... 580 is actually faster. Really weird, right?

In all of the above benchmarks 580 was a lot slower than 1070. And now suddenly.... 580 is actually faster. Really weird, right?
The engine used for most of the recent CoD games was heavily rebuilt (the rendering engine was entirely redone) a year or two ago, for Modern Warfare and Warzone, then successive upgrades were implemented for Vanguard and now MWII. Given that its primary focus was on consoles (as that's where the biggest money is for CoD games), it's no surprise to see GCN (Xbox One, PS4) and RDNA (Series X/S, PS5) GPUs doing so well.

This was a great article, thank you. It looks like a lot of work and must have taken a long time. It is very interesting to see how older cards handle newer games. This article reinforces how good of a card the 1080ti is. I have a 2080ti, and while good enough to keep, the idea of doubling my performance is tempting. Very interesting article.

No way the RTX 4090 can spike up like that in the graphs, its hardware doesn't justify it. It must be something wrong in the software, perhaps some upscaling going on "behind the scenes"?

Last edited:
The engine used for most of the recent CoD games was heavily rebuilt (the rendering engine was entirely redone) a year or two ago, for Modern Warfare and Warzone, then successive upgrades were implemented for Vanguard and now MWII. Given that its primary focus was on consoles (as that's where the biggest money is for CoD games), it's no surprise to see GCN (Xbox One, PS4) and RDNA (Series X/S, PS5) GPUs doing so well.

That also shows that previous games were made for Nvida, resulting in Nvidia cards seemingly being faster, when they really weren't. Instead of making their shaders neutral, they deliberately made them Nvidia friendly (or even worse, AMD-unfriendly). Shouldn't there be a sticker somewhere on the game: "Sponsored by Nvidia, will run like crap on AMD". And equal for games sponsored by AMD.

No way the RTX 4090 can spike up like that in the graphs, its hardware doesn't justify it. It must be something wrong in the software, perhaps some hidden upscaling going on "behind the scenes"?

"Sponsored by Nvidia, 2022" ?

"We rewrote the shaders to detect the card and run perfectly on Nvidia 4090, while punishing any other hardware" ?

Modern Warfare 2 released 2009. This is Modern Warfare II. Simple, eh?
How many people out there will actually take the time to see 2 & II all they hear is Modern Warfare 2 & say oh boy another remake of a remake of a remake. They are some what right but at least this time around Warfare II has a new story line to play on. To bad they keep reusing the same name all it does is confuse the minions of the world. lol

"Sponsored by Nvidia, 2022" ?

"We rewrote the shaders to detect the card and run perfectly on Nvidia 4090, while punishing any other hardware" ?
Can we have a technical explanation, please? I'm getting drowned in all these journalistic figures of speech and innuendoes, like a was drowning a while ago in Intel's lakes. Why is the RTX 4090 so much faster than the RTX 3090 Ti in these graphs, on an exponential growth curve when all the other video cards follow a linear growth?

How many people out there will actually take the time to see 2 & II all they hear is Modern Warfare 2 & say oh boy another remake of a remake of a remake. They are some what right but at least this time around Warfare II has a new story line to play on. To bad they keep reusing the same name all it does is confuse the minions of the world. lol
This time around, apart from a new story, it also has the requirement to give your personal phone number to Activision corporation just so they let you play the video game.

In 2009 there was Modern Warfare Two. In 2022 we have Modern Warfare EeeEee or IiiIii, as the most of the rest of the non Anglo-Saxon-speaking world say (I accentuated the II for increased dramatic effect). Considering we have a video card made by MSI with the word "Suprim" in its name, I would not be surprised if you would see NIKF and Adibas inside this modern video game.

Last edited:
In 2009 there was Modern Warfare Two. In 2022 we have Modern Warfare Eee Eee or Iii Iii, as the rest of the non Anglo-Saxon-speaking say. (I accentuated the I I for increased dramatic effect). Considering we have a video card made by MSI with the word "Suprim" in it, I would not be surprised if you would see NIKF and Adibas inside this modern video game.
Holy s, I thought that it was Roman number 2

Back