Can a Rosewill Green 630w power an HD 7850 in Crossfire?

oldikes

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200
tomshardware post I googled said it could, but to be more specific, I would be using a single 7850 at first but xfiring later on when 7850s are cheaper. They would be alongside a FX-8120 (or whatever similarly priced piledriver, when they come out) and a single basic HDD, with maybe an SDD later. Also 3 case fans (pretty insignificant) and the coolermaster hyper 212 plus. I wouldnt be PLANNING on overclocking a significant amount, but if I will be pushing the PSU just running 2GPUs/FX at stock, id probably go for a slightly higher specced one. just wanted some more opinions.

No way, if you're planning to overclock that FX-8120 and both GPUs you'll need a 750W PSU to be safe. You don't want to be putting 100% loads on PSUs, especially Rosewills who have a bad reputation for quality. Go for a decent Seasonic based unit.

I said I wasent really planning on OCing. And if I did it would be the CPU, I wouldnt worry about OCing the video cards, especially since I wont be getting a second card for like at least a year or 2 anyway.

I don't have the best experience with the Bulldozer CPUs, but I do recall them consuming considerable power when overclocked and loaded up. If it was me I'd be heading for a 750W to give you headroom.

Looking on NewEgg about the cheapest "decent" Seasonic-based PSU I can find in 750W is the Antec TruePower TP750 New, for $89.99 ($40 saving).

I really couldn't trust CF HD 7850's and a (eventually) OC'd FX-8120 to anything other than a completely rock solid stable PSU, especially since voltage regulation and current ripple could potentially screw up the hardware it's powering, or worse, blow up and take it all along with it.

Back