Can I change my CPU without harming my motherboard?

I'd like to piggyback off the op's question since I have the same inquiry, instead of starting a new thread, if that's ok.

I currently have a P6T Deluxe motherboard
p6t-2-jpg.83752
which was purchased in 2008.I do have the most updated bios,
img_0120-jpg.83751
. This is the list of supported cpu's for the P6T Deluxe
p6t-1-jpg.83748
. My current cpu is only a dual core. I'd like to put in the i7 960 quad core
p6t-2-jpg.83752
. My question is, can this be done without harming the motherboard? After so many years I wonder if maybe the cpu might be attached to the motherboard, idk. I would also like to harness some more speed by getting a new ssd drive rather than the same hard drive I've had for near 10 years. This is the list of supported drives for my motherboard
p6t-3-jpg.83754
p6t-4-jpg.83755
. I'll go with the Samsung 1 tb. My final question is when I go to the bios and firmware page of the Asus motherboard
p6t-5-jpg.83756
, you can notice that in the drop down list of which operating system to choose, you cannot see windows 10. I imagine then that this motherboard will not support a Windows 10 operating system? So therefore, I would not be able to install my copy of Win 10 into the new SSD drive? I am correct?

Sorry for the long post, and I appreciate any help that anyone can give me. Thank you.

Moderator note: You should start your own thread instead of hijacking someone else's thread. Moving.

Last edited by a moderator:
" Moderator note: You should start your own thread instead of hijacking someone else's thread. Moving."

Whoa, take it easy Wyatt Earp. Hijacking? A little harsh no? I was just trying to be convenient.

The answer is yes, you can change the CPU without damaging the motherboard. But like anything the motherboard can be damaged. The motherboard is designed for CPU replacement. Pick a CPU in the list you provided and select the CPU you want to use. Even the most qualified of IT professionals have to take their time and pay attention to what they are doing while inserting CPU into its socket. But once that is done everything else is a walk in the park.

Back