Can I delete minidlna file off my external hard drive

r1066X

I found a file on my external hard drive," .minidlna". I don't know what it is. It seems to have a log. It seems to connect to port 1900. I only use my external drive offline. I want to delete the .minidlna file and anything it does. But.... can I do that? Will I still be able to use my external hard drive? Will it still work? I have files on the drive that I don't want to lose. So WTF is it and can I safely get rid of it?

The Universal Plug N' Play (UPnP) system operates over two ports: UDP/1900 and TCP/5000.

Go to your router and specifically block/disallow:
  • UDP/1900 and
  • TCP/5000.
These should never be opened to the Internet

Also, in Services.msc, DISABLE UPnP Device Host. This will protect your system still further.

Once both of these are corrected, Reboot the Router and 60sec later, Reboot the system.

Get a copy of CurrPorts v2.60 and verify the two ports show above are not open.

You should be able to mount/dismount the EXT drive at will and delete any file you choose.

Go to your router and specifically block/disallow:
  • UDP/1900 and
  • TCP/5000.
These should never be opened to the Internet

Also, in Services.msc, DISABLE UPnP Device Host. This will protect your system still further.

Once both of these are corrected, Reboot the Router and 60sec later, Reboot the system.

Get a copy of CurrPorts v2.60 and verify the two ports show above are not open.

You should be able to mount/dismount the EXT drive at will and delete any file you choose.
jobeard, thanks, I didn't know how to "go to the router" so I instead made a rule in firewall to specifically block ports 1900 and 5000 both in incoming and outgoing. I disabled UPnP in Services. Rebooted router,rebooted my machine. Got a copy of CurrPorts, saw that port 1900 was still open in both IPv4 and IPv6 , allowed not restricted, so I then disabled SSDPSRV in Process Services,rebooted machine,opened CurrPorts v2.60 and saw that the open port 1900 is gone now. External drive: I securely deleted the log file contained within the .minidlna file then securely deleted the .minidlna file itself. It seems to have worked, my files contained within the external HD are still accessible. Thanks for your help.

Back