Can I OC MSI P7n SLi 750i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are my system SPecs.

Power Supply ( 800 Watt -- XION Power Supply Quad SLI Ready )
Processor ( Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 (2x 3.0GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) )
Processor Cooling ( [=== Silent ===] Thermaltake V1 CPU Cooling Fan System Kit Silent & Overclocking Proof = Maximum cooling efficiency for quietness and performance )
Motherboard ( [SLI] MSI P7N SLI-FI Nvidia nForce 750i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Three PCI-E MB )
Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair XMS2 Xtreme w/Heat Spreader )
I pretty much know HOW to do it. But I can't seem to get my CPU past around 3.4
I managed to get it there by raising the FSB clock to like 1400 or so. and my memory clock to like 830. (<<---- those numbers are not exact)
Now my question is basically since my MOBO says it's max FSB is 1333, does that mean I can not or should not OC. I know the reason for OC is to push system to max, but does that mean ABOVE what the MOBO specs. are. I seen this CPUID screen shot that got his CPU to 4.5. We have same MOBO, same CPU, only this i am not sure about is RAM.
I really don't quite understand the FSB/ram ratio. There is not an option in my Bios thats will allow me to change that. My default ratio is (according to CPUID) is FSB//DRAM === 5/6 with timings 5-5-5-18-22-2t. As I adjust FSB clock in bios the BIOS the ratio will change, but I am not sure exactly which settings affect the ratio. Is it the timings,? If so which # do they affect dram or FSB, and so forth. I know there is alot of ? here, and any ? would be great. Here is the ?Shot of that CPUID at 4.5 . Thank again.

The rated fsb on a motherboard just tells you what the default fsb is. Did you increase your vcore voltage. I didnt even see you mentioning that, and that is practically essential, and if you didnt do that then I have to say, you dont know how to do it at all.

There are some things you fail to mention like cpu temps and at what vcore. You probably seen someone with 4.5Ghz with the same board and cpu, but I guarantee it wasnt with an air cooler.

I suggest reading an oc guide maybe from tomshardware forums, or some other source.

Btw that psu you have. Is garbage, I wouldnt overclock with that thing, well you could I suppose but dont expect it to last long.

Voltage

My CPU voltage is 1.080. That is default. If i raise the memory timings, will that affect my FSB:DRAM ratio?

There's no way you're doing is great oc'ing with 1.08 volts, you need to change it to 1.35volts, and check temps. Ideally you want a 1-1 ratio fsb to ram, but that's kind of hard when you're overclocking you'd need an unlocked multiplier to do it with high clocks. Closer to 1:1 ratio is best for performance. See how high you can oc without touching ram timings, dont make another obstacle before you've gotten passed the first one.

Timings and voltage

I can manage to get it up around 3.4 w/o touching timings, or voltage. I ran a stress test for 3 hours and no errors. Anything above that, I boot into black screen. I am not really sure where to go from there. Should I loosen up timings? increrase voltage, or change my multiplier? If there are any good reads you can direct me too that would be great. I hate to ask these "common knowledge" questions. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back