Can I "recycle" parts from an older computer into a newer one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

New to this board but it seemed like a good place to start. I have a older computer that was really outdated so I bought a new Compaq but my question is...the older one had a floppy drive in it and the new one does not. I need to have a floppy drive as I have a sewing machine that reads only floppys. Can I take the drive out of the old computer and install it in the new one?

Also I have a Dell that my kids use and it seems to need more RAM...can I take the ram out of the old and install it into the new? I am not a really techy person but can do things if I am told how.

Thanks for the help!!

The floppy can almost certainly be moved*, but the RAM is unlikely to be reusable, at all - RAM technology has moved on so far that even a 5 year old machine is likely to be 3 to 4 generations behind.

*I think Dell still have a floppy controller onboard, not 100% sure but I haven't heard otherwise

You only need to make sure the motherboard in the new Compaq has a floppy drive controller (what you have to plug the floppy drive into) and a vacant drive slot to the outside of the case. It probably does but check just in case. If by chance it doesn't, you can always get an external floppy drive that you can connect through a USB port on your new PC.

Regarding your Dell, if you go to the Dell website, you will find a memory selector that will help you determine the type of RAM you need. Just type in your service tag number. You don't have to buy it from Dell if you don't want to but you will know what kind to get.

Easiest is to buy a USB floppy drive.

That would be the easiest way for you.

And as far as the ram goes, we need alot more information. It very well may work, but it very well may not.

We need to know what computers you have, particularly the model of motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back