Can I share a wireless public internet connection on my home network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizannel

Sorry if this question is redundant but I can't make sense of all the acronyms used in the search results I got to know if they apply to me. So here's what my situation is:

I was given an 802.11g USB 2.0 Wireless LAN Adapter and the installation disk that goes with it. Now I can connect to the internet via a public wireless network - that's how I got here! :wave: So far, so good. Now I want to share the connection with my roommate. At our old house, we used a shared DSL connection through our home network. But when I tried to set up the home network at our new place (it's ethernet), it wouldn't let me share this intenet connection because it says that I am connecting to the interenet through another computer. But it's a public access connection...? There's no land line here, so no DSL or dial-up access is available. I don't have a very good understanding of the whole wireless internet thing in the first place, and there's no help file included with the wireless adapter. Is it possible to share this connection or not? I don't want to set up a wireless home network - I want to share the wireless internet connection on an ethernet home network. I'm very experienced with PC's but this is my first time using any wireless technology and I'm floundering. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It does not matter what your connection is - wireless, wired, dialup, carrier pidgeons - it doesn't matter. You can always share it.

What you are experiencing may be some limitation of the Windows ICS or the wizard you are using. Depending on how the public access thing is set up, you may be able to share the connection by bridging the wireless and LAN connections on your computer. (Select both wireless and LAN in your network connections, right click and say that you want to bridge these two.

are you trying to connect your friends internet connection to your computer via cable,tell him to get a wireless card,as u ahve, then no problems! there only £20 good luck

It does not matter what your connection is - wireless, wired, dialup, carrier pidgeons - it doesn't matter. You can always share it.

What you are experiencing may be some limitation of the Windows ICS or the wizard you are using. Depending on how the public access thing is set up, you may be able to share the connection by bridging the wireless and LAN connections on your computer. (Select both wireless and LAN in your network connections, right click and say that you want to bridge these two.

Using XP, I bridged lan and wireless and it was good. Only problem is, wireless is still connected, sending and recieving, but I can't connect to internet. If I disable lan, I can connect just fine. Is there something I need to share a connection with to get the two of them to work together at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back