Cannot Access The Net..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently reinstalled Win 98 SeE. I had to take the pc to the shop for a new modem as it wouldn't "recognize" the old one after the reinstallation. This modem is a PCI SoftV92 voice softening modem. (The old one was a 56K Telepath).

When I brought the pc home a few days ago, I found I could not download my MSN. When it came to the part where it dials to show me my choice of access numbers , the pc either freezes (requiring manual shut off) , OR shuts off instantly, OR the screen goes blank with the pop up stating: "Windows Protection Error. You should restart your computer".

After much checking, retrying, etc, I'm convinced the problem is with the modem. The pc guys have basically nothing more to offer after the new modem was installed. Most people don't even like dealing with Win 98 SE.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone would care to give. Thank you in advance!!

A bit more info:

Today, I started the pc in Safe Mode and tried again with MSN. Here's the message that popped up on the screen..

"Your modem is not working properly or is already in use, please close the connection and try again".

I checked the "Modem Properties" and, under "Resources", I saw this: "This device isn't using any resources because it's not currently enabled or has a problem."

I looked under "Set configurations Manually" and under "Use automatic settings" I noted the box is checked. So the basic config. is "0000". The other options are: 001, 002, and uncheck "Use automatic setting". I tried all but the "002" setting, to no avail.

Also, as a side note, it bothers me that port com 1 has a note of "no modem detected".Could it be a port problem? Reconfiguration of this new modem needed? How to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back