Cannot connect Vista to my Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

dab45

Well anyway i set up my Server 2008 and configured everything correctly. I used a test network and managed to connect my test pc do my domain. It has internet and is fully functional. Well with that success i moved to a larger scale, added more user and computers in my Active Directory Domain Users and Computers. The problem is i cannot connect any more computers to my domain. I get an error saying:

"An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain."

All my computers can connect to my network and receive internet access, but will not connect even when im using the same method that worked on my test computer. Another thing i noticed is that when i try to connect my test computer to my domain a second time "just to see if its a setting on the other comps" it gives me the same message, yet im already logged into my domain. My question is how the heck did i manage to connect my test computer, but suddenly be locked out from connecting anything again, including the computer that already has been configured? is there a setting in Server 2008 that is preventing more than one client to be configured to my domain?

ya im able to see all my dhcp information. i have internet access, and i can ping my server

Once the DC is configured (Active Directory, DNS, DHCP at a minimum), your Client PCs then JOIN the domain.

Ususally, this then requires the client to use a Network Login (to the DC) rather than
a local system login. This is controlled using the GPO for logins.

New Clients are then entered into the DC to create the server profile to which the client can then log into.
"An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain."​
This suggests that the Client DHCP and DNS addresses are not correct.
Point these to your DC server :)

How would i go about this? i thought i did that but i might have not done something right...

Hey have included an attachment with the Group Policy Settings that are currently running. Could anyone give them a look and see if there is anything wrong with them?

ok whilst i'm not familiar with 2008 at all i'm afraid, i do run a server 2003 network, so i hope i can help more than hinder. With that in mind, default GPO's should not affect/cause you problem. (unless its different in 2008)

If you've already had one client authenticate on the domain, but then for some reason it fails if you logoff and back on, it sounds like you know how to join a client to a domain.

So pinging the server IP works. What about pinging the server name, if that works then its at least resolving DNS at that level.

Open up a run command and type ipconfig /all
See if what it displays concurs with that you'd expect. to see ie. See if the DHCP and DNS servers point to your DC, if not that's why you cannot connect,
Make sure the IP address it assigns to you is within the lease pool range configured in DHCP. (most likely 192.168.x.x)

If not, get the properties of your network adaptor and see what is entered in there.

Let us know what you find.

ya im lost now

so i basically re-entered the information and redid my DHCP configurations and such. Once again im able to successfully access the network and internet with my client computers, but i still cant connect my Domain. Ive provided screenshots of all the configurations and properties, also i included my ipconfig results. Please look through them and if anyone sees where i did something wrong could you kindly tell me how to fix it?

can't open any of those mate, its says its 'unexpected end of archive'

So your are only connecting to a WORKGROUP then?
I take it you have tried changing the properties in 'My Computer' to that of the correct domain?

hum; I see some inconsistent IP addresses
The network is 123.168.1.*
DHCP Pool is within that subnet (10-6)

Yet ScreenShot2: Local Area Connections shows IPv4 =122.168.1.8
You've selected Listen on ALL IP Addresses, but at some time you set
DNS Properties show 122.168.1.8

Server IP Config shows gateway at 122.168.1.1

USUALLY, there's one subnet and all devices are within the range
(specifically in your case) 123.168.1.0 ---> 123.168.1.254

well i have my server receiving an address from another dhcp with a reserved address of 122.168.1.8 and since 122 is used i bumped my network up one number using 123 instead if your wondering what that was about. Is there any reason for me to use the 122 number for anything? or should all my configurations point to the 123 number that i made with my dhcp? anyway im looking at the inconsistency right now...

so i did something that made my clients lose internet :( but anyway i read up some of my errors and i posted a screenshot of it. After reading it i made some changes to the SOA and i posted before and after config shots. any input would be advised

123.168.1.1 is your router; all systems should be in this subnet

your DNS should be elsewhere, eg 123.168.1.8

The normal way to setup a network is:
  1. pick the subnet (123.168.x.y)
  2. set the Router at x.x.x.1
  3. set a static address for the DHCP and DNS
    (the DNS and DHCP addresses can be the same as each has it's own port.
    just be sure to co-locate BOTH on the same box)
  4. set other static addresses for systems used as servers that your clients need access
    (eg Exchange Server; Sql Server, Secondary DNS, Secondary DC)
  5. set the DHCP Pool to exclude the static addresses
Set all static address at one end of the subnet or the other;
eg: 123.168.1.0 -- 123.168.1.32
or 123.168.1.222 -- 123.168.1.254​
and make the pool outside that range
eg Pool=123.168.1.33--123.168.1.128 (or clear up to 254)
or Pool=123.168.1.2---123.168.1.200​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back