Cannot Delete File?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merfman

Hi, I'm new to this site. and need some help.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this.

My computer had some spyware, that i finally got rid of, but now it says that sbmdl.dll is trying to access a folder.

So i search for the folder and found what is in the folder. Now when i go to delete the stuff in the folder i get a message that says:

Cannot Delete sbmdl: It is being used by another person or program.
Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.

I don't currently have any files that i am aware of, but I'm still unable to delete this. Can anybody give me a few hints or some suggestions on how to delete these files.

kritius said:
Have you tried deleting it in safe mode?

Yes i tried that first, then i used KillBox, and got rid of 3 of the 5 files that i needed to delete, but the other 2 can't be deleted in "KillBox"

To use HijackThis to remove a stubborn file:

Clearly identify the file(s) you want to delete and write down the COMPLETE path, eg, C:\Documents and Settings\MOM\Local Settings\Temp\filename

Start HijackThis,

click on the bottom option 'none of the above, just start the program'

click on the bottom right hand option 'config'

click on the top right hand option 'Misc tools'

click on the 'delete a file on reboot..' box

CAREFULLY work your way through the selection process to the file you want to delete and click on it

Shut down and Reboot

CCT said:
To use HijackThis to remove a stubborn file:

Clearly identify the file(s) you want to delete and write down the COMPLETE path, eg, C:\Documents and Settings\MOM\Local Settings\Temp\filename

Start HijackThis,

click on the bottom option 'none of the above, just start the program'

click on the bottom right hand option 'config'

click on the top right hand option 'Misc tools'

click on the 'delete a file on reboot..' box

CAREFULLY work your way through the selection process to the file you want to delete and click on it

Shut down and Reboot

To be completely honest, I'm new here and I'm not too sure what Hijack This is? can you please explain how you use it? thanks

Ok, well if you are infected, and you are new to computers, you should not be attempting remove malware without detailed instructions. First of all, removing the file is only half the battle - it more than likely is in your registry. That file is associated with a nasty little trojan that downloads and installs additional malware on the user's machine.

Please follow Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions in order and post the requested logs in this thread

We need
1)hijackthis log
2)Combofix log
3)Avg log

If you get stuck anywhere along the way STOP and ask for help here in this thread.

This thread is for the use of merfman only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I've run into a little problem. On STEP 7, the SS&D Link will not load for me. My internet is connected and working fine, the link will not load though. is there anyway around this?

You can proceed to step 8. Their servers are down tonight. Hopefully it will be back up soon.

This thread is for the use of merfman only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Blind Dragon said:
You can proceed to step 8. Their servers are down tonight. Hopefully it will be back up soon.

Alright..I just downloaded the CCleaner. and when i clicked 'Run Cleaner' it says,
This process will permantly delete files from your system.

What do i do?

Click yes or ok

Crap Cleaner
  • Download from HERE
  • Close all browsers.
  • Run the programme and make sure all the boxes are ticked under the Windows and Applications tabs, Also check All Advanced tabs(except for the Old prefetch Data option, this should be unticked)
  • Click the run cleaner button. Do this several times
  • Confirm that it will permanently remove files from your computer

I just finished STEP 10. i just have a question.

Once i complete all these steps, and if it removes the problem, will i be able to delete all the programs/applications that i have downloaded onto my computer, or will i need them later on?

I will give you instructions how to remove most of them, but you should keep an anti-virus, a firewall, spybot, and adaware.

Spybot has some neat features also that I can show you that will help your computer to boot up faster.

Blind Dragon said:
I will give you instructions how to remove most of them, but you should keep an anti-virus, a firewall, spybot, and adaware.

Spybot has some neat features also that I can show you that will help your computer to boot up faster.

Alright. Thank-you, i am currently on STEP 10. Its running the VundoFix Scan. Its taking a while to complete

Alright, im on STEP 15. i need a little bit of a better walkthrough..i have the HighJack This shortcut icon on my desktop. I saved the logs from ComboFix and AVG. What do i do now??

Highjackthis Instructions
  • Launch Hijackthis by doubleclicking the icon.
  • Select Scan now and save a log
  • After the scan is complete please attach your log onto the forums using the paper clip icon above your reply.
    ***Under no circumstances should you add any items to the HJT ignore list. Under no circumstances should you change the directory that highjackthis downloads to. Under no circumstances should you Fix anything without specific instruction to do so. Under no circumstances should you click any buttons other that specified in the directions including AnalyzeThis!***

Looks like that got them as you will see in the highjackthis log (file missing)

Please go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs
uninstall the following if there:
NetProject

Launch Hijackthis again -> select System Scan only
Put a check mark next to the following:
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {4D25F926-B9FE-4682-BF72-8AB8210D6D75} - C:\Program Files\MyWaySA\SrchAsDe\deSrcAs.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: e404mgr Class - {A3D76B96-30B9-4DCC-9B3D-D12E31280D29} - C:\Program Files\Helper\1203801059.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {C2A1C5CB-C0EF-4689-9436-F62CCA1C5383} - C:\Program Files\NetProject\sbmdl.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: Web Application - {81705D67-3F73-4983-859B-97D0922E5ABE} - C:\Program Files\NetProject\wamdl.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {9034A523-D068-4BE8-A284-9DF278BE776E} - http://www.explorertool.net/redirect.php (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: IE Anti-Spyware - {9034A523-D068-4BE8-A284-9DF278BE776E} - http://www.explorertool.net/redirect.php (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: MUSICMATCH MX Web Player - {d81ca86b-ef63-42af-bee3-4502d9a03c2d} - http://wwws.musicmatch.com/mmz/openWebRadio.html (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: PICgrabber - {4964E240-D53C-11D5-BDA9-444553540000} - C:\Program Files\PICgrabber\PICGRABBER.EXE (file missing) (HKCU)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PICgrabber - Movie&Image Search/Download Software - {4964E240-D53C-11D5-BDA9-444553540000} - C:\Program Files\PICgrabber\PICGRABBER.EXE (file missing) (HKCU)

Select Fix Checked

Close Hijackthis

Restart the computer

Run Hijackthis again and save a log. Attach the new log in your next reply

Update your Java Runtime Environment
  • Click the following link
    Java Runtime Environment 6 Update 4
  • The 4th option down is the one you want
  • After the download locate and double click the installer jre-6u4-windows-i586-p-iftw.exe
  • Go to Start-> Control Panel-> add/remove programs (Programs and features), and uninstall any old versions except Java 6 Update 4

Go To Start -> Run -> Type in exactly Combofix /u
*uninstalls combofix
*removes quarantine
*removes vundofix backups
*creates a fresh restore point.

You can remove Hijackthis through add/remove programs.
And most of the other tools through dragging to recycle bin

As I said before you should keep 1 antivirus program (I think I saw you had norton) I don't recommend Norton but if you are happy with it, keep it. If you would like to completely uninstall norton and install AVG let me know and I can post how.

Keep a firewall -> Zone Alarm, Comodo, Kerio

Keep Spybot and Adaware.

Instead of using windows to control items that load when you boot your computer an easy way is to use spybot S&D. Go to Mode and select advanced. then expand tools in the left pane, then double click system startup uncheck items that don't need to be started everytime you turn on your computer. If you don't know what something is you can post here or google for it. Don't uncheck anything in green.

If you have any more problems please use this thread

Blind Dragon said:
Update your Java Runtime Environment
  • Click the following link
    Java Runtime Environment 6 Update 4
  • The 4th option down is the one you want
  • After the download locate and double click the installer jre-6u4-windows-i586-p-iftw.exe
  • Go to Start-> Control Panel-> add/remove programs (Programs and features), and uninstall any old versions except Java 6 Update 4

Go To Start -> Run -> Type in exactly Combofix /u
*uninstalls combofix
*removes quarantine
*removes vundofix backups
*creates a fresh restore point.

You can remove Hijackthis through add/remove programs.
And most of the other tools through dragging to recycle bin

As I said before you should keep 1 antivirus program (I think I saw you had norton) I don't recommend Norton but if you are happy with it, keep it. If you would like to completely uninstall norton and install AVG let me know and I can post how.

Keep a firewall -> Zone Alarm, Comodo, Kerio

Keep Spybot and Adaware.

Instead of using windows to control items that load when you boot your computer an easy way is to use spybot S&D. Go to Mode and select advanced. then expand tools in the left pane, then double click system startup uncheck items that don't need to be started everytime you turn on your computer. If you don't know what something is you can post here or google for it. Don't uncheck anything in green.

If you have any more problems please use this thread

THANK-YOU for all the help, the computer seems to be running fine now
THANK-YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back