Cannot directly boot Vista 64-bit partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Kestrel-

I’m new to these boards, but pretty experienced with all versions of Windows from 2.0 on up. However, I’m having a problem with a Vista 64-bit install that has me stumped.

First, my hardware configuration: Athlon 64-bit (dual core) CPU with 2GB of Corsair memory on an Asus A8N-E mobo.

On IDE 0 is a 130MB drive, formatted, bootable, Primary, Active, no other files. IDE 1 has a NEC CDRW/DVD-RW drive attached. The BIOS sees these as C: and H:, respectively.

Two 160 MB SATA-2 drives are also attached, both with 2 partitions. SATA 1 has Vista Ultimate 64-bit on partition 1; SATA 2 has WinXP Pro SP2 32-bit on partition 1. SATA 1 is seen by the BIOS as D: and F:; SATA 2 is seen as E: and G:. In other words, normal.

The installation of Vista couldn’t have been smoother—MS could have used it as a demo, it was that slick. The nForce 4 Vista drivers, nVidia 8800 drivers, Logitech G15 Keyboard and Revolution Mouse drivers all installed just fine. Dual monitors work just as they did under XP.

My problem is, I can’t boot directly to the Vista partition. If I reverse SATA 1 and 2, the XP install boots just fine (however, it doesn’t list the Vista install as a boot option; that’s fine with me—I think that’s as intended, due to a Win32-Win64 disconnect). But in order to boot to Vista, I have to hit F8 after the POST memory test, and select the IDE drive (yes, the IDE drive), and then Vista boots just fine. Otherwise, I get an error that required device is missing and directons to repair the Windows installation.

If I boot from the Vista 64 install disk and run repair, it says everything is fine. It sees the Vista 64 install just fine. The Vista partition has bootmgr and the /boot folder. I’ve copied MBRs back and forth using Acronis Disk Director. After booting from the Vista 64 DVD, I opened a command prompt and ran
Code:
\boot\bootsect.exe –NT60 All
per this KB article (although I really don’t want a dual-boot configuration; I’m perfectly happy with Vista once it boots!). In fact, except for this particular gremlin, my experience with this install could serve as a model for MS (quite unlike upgrading my laptop to Vista Home Premium—but that’s another story).

The only other anomaly I can see is that in Device Manager, there is an unknown USB device, but I’ve no clue what it might be: Both monitors and the G15 keyboard have USB hubs, all of which are recognized, as are all the devices plugged into those hubs (and the back of the computer). Specifically, the following USB devices are in use and recognized: Sennheiser USB headset, plugged into the keyboard (not recognized as Sennheiser, but as USB headset); Logitech G15 keyboard; Logitech Revolution wireless optical mouse (receiver for the mouse is plugged into the keyboard as well); the two monitor hubs, plugged into the computer—and that’s it.

I suppose I could reinstall Vista, but it seems to me there should be a simpler solution. I’m hoping someone here can find it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back