Cannot power off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been working on this problem for some time.

I just built a PC for my parents, it has a Intel DG33fb Mobo, core 2 duo 2.2ghz 4 gigs ram, xfx ge force 8500 video card, lite on dvd burner and seagate 25gb hd.

When i go to start and shut down, windows will shut down, the hard drive will turn off, and the screen will go off. everything else stays on for about 15 seconds then shuts off then comes back on again after about 2 seconds and proceeds to reboot itself.

I have tried 3 different power supplies, i have tried 3 different hard drives, i have removed the video card, i have reformatted a few times, i have tried a different case i have tried everything i can think of. All drivers and Bios are up to date, i have contacted intel and tried what they have told me, i have had intel send me another board and it will not stop.

I can only get the computer to power down by holding the power button on the front.

Does anyone have any idea of what else i can try?

I need to have this fixed by next weekend when i deliver it to them. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give

It sounds like hibernation/standby and wake are in play here. LAN, USB, mouse, and keyboards have settings relating to 'wake on'. On shut down, is there any indication that hibernation/standby was selected?

There is a 'dance' between bios & Windows that I clearly do not understand. The control panel !power option is one place to check. For 'wake', (I believe) generally there is agreement between the bios and the settings in device manager.

Try removing the CMOS battery on the motherboard to clear the bios settings. Go into the bios and set it to the default levels. If this doesn't solve the problem, replace the motherboard

rf6647 said:
It sounds like hibernation/standby and wake are in play here. LAN, USB, mouse, and keyboards have settings relating to 'wake on'. On shut down, is there any indication that hibernation/standby was selected?

There is a 'dance' between bios & Windows that I clearly do not understand. The control panel !power option is one place to check. For 'wake', (I believe) generally there is agreement between the bios and the settings in device manager.

all signs indicate and state windows is now shutting down, and it does shut down properly, its just that the computer it self will not power the whole way down.

i have gone into every device and set all things to either stay off on power down or to NOT wake up from anything. I have been in and out of all settings trying to solve this.

You can see how frustrating this truely is.

The motherboards PSEN control is probably damged... I've already said what you need to do... Sorry

I have seen this a few times. Either live with it or... replace the motherboard. It might be a good time to upgrade the whole system

Tmagic650 said:
The motherboards PSEN control is probably damged... I've already said what you need to do... Sorry

I have seen this a few times. Either live with it or... replace the motherboard. It might be a good time to upgrade the whole system

read more carefully, this is a brand new board, this is the second brand new board. I bought the first one, it had the problem, i sent it back to intel and they sent me another one, same problem. everything in the system is brand new, no need to upgrade.

i did the battery b4 posting here, i have reset the bios i have done all that.

As a last resort i ordered a different brand mother board. since no one can come up with a fix for this might as well try a different brand

That problem is way out there! Any different results in Safe Mode? I can only cite two experiences. Situation 1 : disabled all start up items from msconfig; restart computer; re-enabled them; shutdown was then able to go to power off. Situation 2: suspect old mobo; reload of XP, device manager ! computer ! acpi uniprocessor, the datails were unusual in its lack of details beyond hal; repeated load of XP ; uniprocessor details more complete; shutdown was then able to go to power off. Neither case matches the delayed restart for your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back