Cannot save Excel file, marked read only

Status
Not open for further replies.

olefarte

I've got a small Excel file I've tried to save to a diskette, but, after the one time out of many tries it finally did write it, it won't read when I try to look at it, gives me an error message, So, I saved it to a CD-RW, everything went okay, I can read it, but now when I want to update it, it says "Cannot save the file xxxxxx. The file exists and is marked read only. Save the file with another file name or another location." And a couple of times it told me I did not have rights to access this file. I'm the only one on this computer, and I'm listed as the administrator, so I don't understand that either.

All I want to do is overwrite the file to update it every now and then. But I can't. I've always been able to do this on a diskette, but can't even do that now. Is it not possible to do this on a CD-RW? I don't want to write a new file every couple of days. The diskette would be fine if I could get it to work. Can anybody give me some advice?

I'm just using what came on XP Home to burn disc's and always have, because I don't do any music coping and this has always worked fine up until now. Just did a reformat of my computer about three weeks ago, but I can't see why that would be a problem, I put it back just as it was to begin with.

Thanks in advance for any help. And if this info is to be found somewhere else here at TS, I couldn't find it.

If you leave the disc open, you can overwrite files as long as the disc is a -RW disc and not a standard -R disc. Honestly I've had bad experiences with -RW and leaving discs open. That was ages ago and CD-Rs are so cheap now. O've been told that OfficeXP doesn't like floppy discs. I have no proof of this. I haven't used a floppy in quite some time either.

Well the good news is, I've finally been able to do what I want with the diskette. I've saved the file and then overwritten/updatted it successfully, so all is well there. And that is really what I wanted to do. But I didn't do anything differently that what I've been trying to do for the last hour, it just works now.

But, I really thought I could do the same thing with the CD-RW. Maybe I'm mistaken?

I got it !

Got the same error msg. Here is what I did. I saved the file to my desktop with a new name. filenamedate. Then I opened the CD and moved the file from the desktop to the CD. Next it asked something about is this the file to be written to the CD and click yes. It will then copy the file to the CD. I did not try to replace the exisiting file-afraid I may screw it up. You have to close the file you are trying to copy before it will complete the save. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back